Default to HD master?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Opentoe

Default to HD master?

Post by Opentoe »

Is there a way to default to select HD master audio instead of regular DD? I'm ripping my BG series onto disk and want to make sure I'm doing it correctly. Here is a snap shot of what it looks like when it reads the Bluray.
makemkv.png
makemkv.png (31.4 KiB) Viewed 18240 times
ndjamena

Re: Default to HD master?

Post by ndjamena »

You need to edit the default selection.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4386

Preferences->General->Expert Mode || Advanced->default selection rule

I Just ripped the complete BSG collection along with a bunch of other shows.

If you can find the Powershell ISE on your PC, try this:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 172#p42172

It's making ripping these things a tad hum drum for me.
Opentoe

Post by Opentoe »

ndjamena wrote:You need to edit the default selection.

Thanks, I guess now I have to learn what the default selection rules are and what can be changed there.

EDIT: Are you also noticing that the tracks come out of order, so you can't really say file 00 is episode 1. I was reading about track weight, OP locks threads so we have to keep bringing it up in other threads. That's why when I watching the series, all the episodes were out of order and it's actually easier to re-rip then try and figure it out.

So how did you end up ripping the 4 or 5 DVD's that comes with the set? I still have an AnyDVD Key, and have tried a couple alternatives which might be much easier in this particular scenario.

Happy Holidays.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Title order is dependent upon how the directory on the DVD and BD is set up. MakeMKV takes the first directory entry over your minimum size and calls it "title 00", and starts numbering upward. If that first title is file name "000010.mpls" and the next one is "000005.mpls", the lower numbered file name is probably an earlier episode, but it will be called "title 01".

Using the advanced features, though, you can change the file names before the rip to reflect this.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Opentoe wrote:
ndjamena wrote:You need to edit the default selection.

Thanks, I guess now I have to learn what the default selection rules are and what can be changed there.

EDIT: Are you also noticing that the tracks come out of order, so you can't really say file 00 is episode 1. I was reading about track weight, OP locks threads so we have to keep bringing it up in other threads. That's why when I watching the series, all the episodes were out of order and it's actually easier to re-rip then try and figure it out.

So how did you end up ripping the 4 or 5 DVD's that comes with the set? I still have an AnyDVD Key, and have tried a couple alternatives which might be much easier in this particular scenario.

Happy Holidays.
I told you how:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9757

It's a powershell script that uses MakeMKV via command line to sort the titles during ripping based on what information it can get from the disc. It's not perfect and never can be, there are no actual rules to disc authoring, so any code written to de-author the discs can only be based on how discs tend to be authored and not on absolutes, but as far as I can remember BSG (all three different series) ripped fine and in the correct order using an older version of the script.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Arrrgh crap.

When I was ripping BSG, I was using the original version of my script that renamed the files based on the segment number each title came from. I've since switched to renaming them based on mpls numbers. I thought including the deleted duplicates in the sorting process would fix most of the discrepancies I'd found in the mpls numbering up to that point, but sadly the mpls numbering in BSG is just plain wrong. There are no playlists on the disc, so you really do need to follow segment numbers to get the correct order.

My script writes those numbers into the segment title, I have windows 10 which lets me add a "title" column to the "details" view, which lets me show both file name and segment title on the one page and lets me sort by either number simply by clicking the header of their respective columns.

Grrrr.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Double GRRRR.

The FIRST disc is best sorted by segment number. I've loaded the disc into my Blu Ray player and it doesn't separate the titles in a way that would make the mpls ordering different, so there's no reason it should be different to the rest... most of the rest at least. Almost all the others sort by mpls numbers, some of them can be sorted through either mpls or m2ts.

Unfortunately the second last disc of Galactica 1980 sorts by neither mpls numbers nor segment numbers, nor is there a playlist.

If it helps the durations of the correct order (according to TheTVDB ordering) is 48.02, 48.16, 48.17 and 47.49

mpls ordering is 00007, 00009, 00000, 00002

Segment ordering is 9, 48, 8, 11

It just goes to show...

The fact that we can get any ordering at all from the discs is purely down to the fact that the authors tend to add the files to the authoring program in a certain order and so that's how numbers they're assigned are ordered.
Opentoe

Post by Opentoe »

Thanks for the info. I was thinking more or less like ripping an audio CD with PowerAmp. Stick in the disc, track information populates from the Internet (META DATA) like most stuff then rip. I was able to find an alternative that took guesswork and additional steps out of the process.
Have a good one.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Really, you're just going to leave us hanging?

I just looked at the disc with CloneBD, it shows two separate orderings and they're both wrong.

There's a two parter on the disc and in neither of its orders does part 2 come directly after part 1. Well technically there's a third order where part 2 does come after part 1, but there's another part 1 on the disc, who's corresponding part 2 in on the next disc, so by definition that should be the forth episode and the only order and puts that episode last doesn't keep the other two parter together.

So what program are you using?

DVDFab? Or something else?

It should be possible to read the commands in the menu to figure this stuff out. That's what CloneBD should be doing...
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

http://forum.dvdfab.cn/showthread.php?t=28197

DVDFab have begun populating a Meta Data Database.

Anyone feel like setting up a server and writing a new GUI for MakeMKVCon?
Opentoe

Post by Opentoe »

ndjamena wrote:Really, you're just going to leave us hanging?

I just looked at the disc with CloneBD, it shows two separate orderings and they're both wrong.

There's a two parter on the disc and in neither of its orders does part 2 come directly after part 1. Well technically there's a third order where part 2 does come after part 1, but there's another part 1 on the disc, who's corresponding part 2 in on the next disc, so by definition that should be the forth episode and the only order and puts that episode last doesn't keep the other two parter together.

So what program are you using?

DVDFab? Or something else?

It should be possible to read the commands in the menu to figure this stuff out. That's what CloneBD should be doing...

I did not want to mention any names on the forum here. It is probably in the rules. Even with some help from online meta-data and as popular the BSG series it is, I still needed to fiddle with naming. Since the US box set has all the movies and first mini-series that really throws some programs off. Only has to be done once, and that's it.

A lot of online data has helped also to determine what is correct. There is a site that shows you each episode title, name, time, etc...just Google it. That's how I found it. I'm also talking specifically about the 2003/2004 remake only. Which includes the movies (Razor, etc). Then you also can easily DVDProfiler which is really nice to get information automatically.
Opentoe

Post by Opentoe »

I went here
http://www.upcitemdb.com/upc/25192010378

Got the UPC and stuck it in DVDProfiler program and it downloaded the entire disc series information from all 4 seasons and the movies. I'll need to review a little further how far DVDProfiler works, since I would end up wanting it to just copy the episodes correctly into the appropriate folders on my Plex server. Sonarr can also do renaming, so this should all be pretty easy!
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I assumed you meant the reimagined series at first, then you mentioned "the 4 or 5 DVD's that comes with the set".

Anyway, the complete series set I bought came with everything, including the old series, the new and all the movies.

When I ripped mine I discovered two of the discs were damaged, so I had to sit around waiting for a replacement. I knew my first attempt at ripping were out of order and that sorting them was a pain, so when I finally got the replacements and since my script had advanced somewhat, I deleted my old rip and started again. As far as I can tell, the reimagined series rips fine in either segment or mpls order, it's just MakeMKV order that's screwy. Then all it takes is deleting the duplicates for the extended episodes and accounting for the "double length" episodes.

But a database for this stuff would be nice though.