Reverting back to previous versions?

Everything related to MakeMKV
factory15

Reverting back to previous versions?

Post by factory15 »

sorry but I was wondering if its possible to post previous versions of the software?

the last two revisions have been nothing but trouble. Win explorer crashes when I try to view the file and now my bd390 resets when i try to play it. None of these things happened before.
setarip_old

Re: Reverting back to previous versions?

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

What's being done here is beta testing of a program in development. It's not unusual for a new stage of development to exhibit new problems - that's the reason for testing ;>}

It does the developer no good for you to revert to an earlier, more proven version, with less capabilities (and older bugs that may be being dealt with in the current version.

The sole objective of beta testing is for the beta testers to identify what DOESN'T work properly in the latest version, so that the developer can debug and fix the latest version, not to provide the beta testers with an older, presently more viable version...
factory15

Post by factory15 »

I can appreciate what you're saying...that being said I cant recall of a time where subsequent releases of a software introduced this many *new* issues cause right now i'm dead in the water. I'm not trying to flame here but right now as a 'beta' consumer of this product I'm just trying to get to the bottom of what my problems are. Just curious to see if going back to version 10 or so would help.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I'm sure "mike-admin" will be addressing your specific problems shortly, regarding v.1.5.0 and 1.5.1.
factory15

Post by factory15 »

I'm sure he will. I actually just did a test of 1.5.1 and now the player is saying video codec not supported...instead of just resetting itself. Stuff i have from .11 previous is still working.

Just frustrated because I ripped a lot on the last version without testing it on my player- it's never been a problem so I didnt think it necessary. Yes it's a beta so shame on me for no doing so
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I actually just did a test of 1.5.1 and now the player is saying video codec not supported
Please clarify:

1) Are you talking about a DVD or a BluRay disc regarding this particular problem?

2) If it's a BluRay, are you talking about a conversion to MKV or a decrypted Backup of a full BluRay disc?

3) What player are you referring to?

Just frustrated because I ripped a lot on the last version without testing it on my player

Please go back and test the playability of discs and/or files you've created with earlier versions - so that we can possibly determine when your problem began and its possible cause...
factory15

Post by factory15 »

its a LG BD390.

Blu rays ripped with v.10 work perfectly. I first noticed an issue with the last couple of versions here http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1036. But didnt think much of it and assumed the BD390 would play them as it always has. Bad assumption- it's causing it to reset. The MKVs I have from v.10 still work perfectly.

**update** using tsMuxer and converting the mkv's to ts's appears to be a stop gap right now. Tested one MKV from MadMen Season 2 and it worked fine on the BD390.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Is it ONLY "MadMen Season 2" that's involved? If so, is your source material original, commercial BluRays or "something else?

If the problem is not limited to "MadMen Season2", please list all other problematic BluRays.

Can you play this/these problematic MKVs under a software player, such as VLC, on your computer, rather than via the BD390?

Now that you've removed the inaccessible folder, has Explorer stopped crashing?

Have you performed a virus scan?

Please read the following thread - It sounds like the BD 390 is problematic:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 28&start=0

Also, do a Googlesearch for:
(without quotation marks)

"lg bd 390 + video codec not supported"
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

factory15 wrote:I can appreciate what you're saying...that being said I cant recall of a time where subsequent releases of a software introduced this many *new* issues cause right now i'm dead in the water. I'm not trying to flame here but right now as a 'beta' consumer of this product I'm just trying to get to the bottom of what my problems are. Just curious to see if going back to version 10 or so would help.
This is only my assumption, but I purchased MakeMKV and when you enter the reg key it switches to "never expire." Therefore, I would assume if the current version is totally unusable, then removal and install of an older version should work if you enter the reg key you purchased. If you are using it through all these beta versions you are probably going to buy it anyway, so why be stuck?

If you look on http://www.videohelp.com under MakeMKV there are various old versions for download if you didn't keep the old installers yourself.

factory15

Post by factory15 »

I've been ripping all of the Mad Men discs...when it's been with previous version of MakeMKV it's worked..no win explorer crashing...no resetting of the 390. it's not a video codec issue (although that has happened before)..the player will literally just shut off after i attempt to start playing. For the most part I can play these on a pc.

I assume the characteristics of these different disks are the same...but its possible maybe they're not..but holding everything else constant the only variable has been the version of MakeMKV. So i'm not sure what else to think right now.
If you look on http://www.videohelp.com under MakeMKV there are various old versions for download if you didn't keep the old installers yourself.
tried to download and install a previous version but when I run it a pop up tells me the version is too old and to download the current one. The app then exits immediately
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

factory15 wrote: ...
tried to download and install a previous version but when I run it a pop up tells me the version is too old and to download the current one. The app then exits immediately
And this is after entering the registration key? I wouldn't expect a time limited beta to rescind the time limit unless you enter the license key you purchased. I'd be surprised if it didn't work. But since I'm not having problems with the latest version I'm not going to uninstall just to try it. :)
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@MilesAhead

I'd suggest that it's inappropriate to continue this discussion (about going back to older versions) on the Forum.

You certainly should feel free to "take it private", via PM or email ;>}
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

factory15 wrote:sorry but I was wondering if its possible to post previous versions of the software?

the last two revisions have been nothing but trouble. Win explorer crashes when I try to view the file and now my bd390 resets when i try to play it. None of these things happened before.
I can assure you that there were no changes how MKVs are generated in last two versions. BD390 can reset on a number of things, including HD audio and HD subtitles in MKV. My suggestion is to try minimal MKV, only video track, core audio and NO PGS subtitles, and see if BD390 will like it. It's quite easy to find prvious version via google search, but the time lock is there for a reason - problems get corrected in new versions.
factory15

Post by factory15 »

The last thing i have that 'works' on my bd390 is Family Guy Dark Side which I'm pretty sure I did with .11

i'll give that a try with the mad men discs and report back.