How about BDAV format of Blu-rays?

Everything related to MakeMKV
KYThrill

Re: How about BDAV format of Blu-rays?

Post by KYThrill »

setarip_old wrote: @ssp43

Hi!
I did not create this disc, I have downloaded it.
You might want to read my post (regarding pending forum rules) of March 14, 2010 in the thread "License Question"...
Whooooop! Whooooop! Forum police...

Why should he read your opinion on what you think the forum rules will be? From what I can tell, nothing has been officially released from the moderators.

And again, owning and using MakeMKV is illegal in the United States per the DMCA. It is legal to make a copy of a disc you own (illegal to make a copy of a rental) per the Fair Use Doctrine, again, in the US.

So explain why would it be okay to discuss the illegal use of MakeMKV to make copies you can legally own, but is taboo to discuss the illegal use of MakeMKV to make illegal copies? Both acts start with an illegal act, so it can't be because of a question of legality.

And as you stated "The rules will not be limited to legal versus illegal activities or behavior, as those definitions vary from country to country." FYI, in some countries (Spain for example) it is legal for you to make copies of rental discs, so some users could speak to making copies of discs they don't own, and be perfectly within their country's legal rights to do so.

So since you don't think we should limit ourselves to rules that distinguish between legal vs illegal behavior, we should be able to discuss using MakeMKV (legal in some countries, not in others) and we should be able to discuss making copies of discs we own (legal in some countries, not in others) and discs we don't own (legal in some countries, not in others).

I can understand if the forum owners/moderators want to make a distinction between the various activities to protect themselves, based on the laws governing the country in which they are located. I do not understand why any user should be able to censor the discussion just because their moral/ethical reasoning differs from another, or the laws of their country differ from another. So until the forum owners do lay down their rules, I think any discussion of MakeMKV being used in any manner is fair and allowable.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@KYThrill

Hi!

The following was posted here by "mike admin", who among other things, is the owner of this forum:
Forum: General MakeMKV discussion Topic: what is up with Eagle Eye

mike admin Post subject: Re: what is up with Eagle Eye Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:05 am

Replies: 11
Views: 710

GoColts wrote:
BIG OOPS! hahaha

As setarip_old have mentioned, this forum is not for discussing any illegal activity including ripping and storing rental discs. Please retain from useless posts in future.
(Focus on the words "INCLUDING ripping and storing rental discs", as the forum is in no position to determine what may or may not be "legal" in different countries around the world).

Further, "other" source material, such as torrent downloads, often times are different than original, commercial sources and subject to errors that cannot be dealt with at this forum.

And finally, knowingly replying to questions regarding other-than-purchased original, commercial media can put this forum at risk of being "hammered" by all sorts of authorities and entertainment industry mega-corporations, such as SONY. All you have to do is research the history of Digital Digest's Digital Video Forums...

KYThrill

Post by KYThrill »

setarip_old wrote:@KYThrill

Hi!

The following was posted here by "mike admin", who among other things, is the owner of this forum:
Forum: General MakeMKV discussion Topic: what is up with Eagle Eye

mike admin Post subject: Re: what is up with Eagle Eye Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:05 am

Replies: 11
Views: 710

GoColts wrote:
BIG OOPS! hahaha

As setarip_old have mentioned, this forum is not for discussing any illegal activity including ripping and storing rental discs. Please retain from useless posts in future.
(Focus on the words "INCLUDING ripping and storing rental discs", as the forum is in no position to determine what may or may not be "legal" in different countries around the world).

Further, "other" source material, such as torrent downloads, often times are different than original, commercial sources and subject to errors that cannot be dealt with at this forum.

And finally, knowingly replying to questions regarding other-than-purchased original, commercial media can put this forum at risk of being "hammered" by all sorts of authorities and entertainment industry mega-corporations, such as SONY. All you have to do is research the history of Digital Digest's Digital Video Forums...

All I see him asking is that we refrain from an discussion of illegal activities, including ripping rental discs. As in, if that activity is illegal, it is not excluded.

However, the discussion of ripping rental discs is not inherently illegal. In countries like Spain, as well as over a half dozen other Euro countries, it is not illegal to rip a rental disc. It is perfectly legal. So residents of those countries are not discussing illegal activities. Therefore they would not need to refrain from the discussion.

I also find it amusing that for anyone in the US or UK, the discussion of even using MakeMKV is a discussion of an illegal activity, and should technically be refrained from.