3d blu-ray to mkv.. how?

Everything related to MakeMKV
twisterbr

3d blu-ray to mkv.. how?

Post by twisterbr »

I've acquired the 3d blu ray of monsters vs. aliens movie (http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Monsters- ... iew/10145/), which was released in april 21th, and I want to do a rip of the stereoscopic files (.ssif extension), to output the videos (trailers, a short and the movie) in separate files.. But seems that this format of files are new to the bluray world, and it was encoded with the mvc-avc (multi-view codec) I suppose.

So, anyone know or have a clue on how can I manage to rip these SSIF format files to avi, mkv,... files? Is there already a codec for these files?

Here is a picture from the directories which I am talking about

On this folder, I can play these videos (m2ts)..and I can convert the m2ts files to mkv fine too, but it's not what I want, I want to extract the files from the SSIF folder, which has the content showed on the second picture

Thank you for your help!
setarip_old

Re: 3d blu-ray to mkv.. how?

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

In light of the fact that each of the .SSIF files is bigger than each of its M2TS counterparts, I think it's safe to presume that the .SSIF files are FULL 3D versions of the .M2TS files.

You might try the following (It MIGHT not require a different codec):

1) Use MakeMKV to do a full encrypted "Backup" of the disc to your hard drive

2) Change all of the ".SSIF" extensions to ".M2TS"

3)Use MakeMKV to do a DECRYPTED "Backup" of the now-modified ENCRYPTED hard drive BluRay "package"

Let us know how it goes...
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Did my suggestion work?

If not, have you made any progress?
Icanseestars

Post by Icanseestars »

This was posted on Doom9
The Monsters vs. Aliens disk has *.ssif files in the ssif folder (a subfolder of the stream folder). Does anybody know the format of these files? Maybe they cannot be played back because AnyDVD HD doesn't decrypt them yet? I've also noticed that the total size of the disk is 77 GB, more than a Blu-ray disk can hold.
There's a spec online somewhere that explains this but basically the filesystem maps the 2 views into one "virtual file" which is why you have 77GB total size.
When asked to rename the files from .ssif to .m2ts the reply was it doesn't work.

I'm guessing this will require a bit of work before 3D content can be dumped into an MKV container. Software players with support for H.264 MVC would be needed too of course.