Play back after using MKVToolNix

Everything related to MakeMKV
andcbii

Play back after using MKVToolNix

Post by andcbii »

I've used MKVToolNix to do a few thing, first to combine 2 mkv files and the second to update the forced substitute settings on a few files. All of my MKVs were made using MakeMKV. After using MKVToolNix VLC is taking way longer to open the muxed files. Is this normal? I combined part one and part two of a Gone with the Wind DVD and now it takes 30+ seconds for mkv to start playing the file. Each individual file plays right a way. I have another film that all I did was mark one of the subtitle tracks as forced and now that one is taking 30 seconds for VLC to play the file. The original file plays right away. I'm using MKVToolNix GUI v8.8.0

Also, for some reason the files are smaller once they have been muxed. why would this be?
Woodstock

Re: Play back after using MKVToolNix

Post by Woodstock »

Without knowing what you did in mkvmerge, it is very hard to say... did you MERGE or APPEND? Merge would give you two of everything, playing side-by-side, time-wise, and VLC would have to figure out which tracks to use. Append would give you screwed-up chapters, unless you renumbered and realigned them.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
andcbii

Re: Play back after using MKVToolNix

Post by andcbii »

Woodstock wrote:Without knowing what you did in mkvmerge, it is very hard to say... did you MERGE or APPEND? Merge would give you two of everything, playing side-by-side, time-wise, and VLC would have to figure out which tracks to use. Append would give you screwed-up chapters, unless you renumbered and realigned them.
I appended them, but i didn't mess with the chapters.