UHD Blu-ray

Everything related to MakeMKV
nathanddrews
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:46 pm

UHD Blu-ray

Post by nathanddrews » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:13 pm

UHD Blu-ray (4K) movies are shipping now and people are starting to get them. A few people on AVS have tested them in BDXL drives and Windows doesn't even recognize it as a readable disc. I intend on testing this as well using my BD drives and was curious if there were any data that would be useful to people here. Word is that some UHD Blu-ray movies are shipping on existing BD-50 discs, while others are shipping on BDXL triple layer discs, but no one seems to know exactly what the file structure is - let alone the copy protection in place.

Will MakeMKV support UHD or offer an upgrade? I'd love a free update, but I'd also love to support the devs.

onland
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:26 pm

Re: UHD Blu-ray

Post by onland » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:55 am

nathanddrews wrote:UHD Blu-ray (4K) movies are shipping now and people are starting to get them. A few people on AVS have tested them in BDXL drives and Windows doesn't even recognize it as a readable disc. I intend on testing this as well using my BD drives and was curious if there were any data that would be useful to people here. Word is that some UHD Blu-ray movies are shipping on existing BD-50 discs, while others are shipping on BDXL triple layer discs, but no one seems to know exactly what the file structure is - let alone the copy protection in place.
U-HD BDs will use two layer types - the conventional 25 GB per layer type used in BD SL and DL type discs and the 33 GB per layer higher density type used in BDXL TL and QL discs. Some U-HD BDs that are dual layer may have 66 GB capacity due to the use of the higher density layer type.

nathanddrews
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: UHD Blu-ray

Post by nathanddrews » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:32 pm

I got sick of waiting for my Amazon shipment, so I walked into Best Buy and bought "The Martian" 4K UltraHD Blu-ray. Tested on:

Windows 7 Pro
ASUS BC12B1ST (did not recognize)
Image

LG WH14NS40 (recognized)
Image

LG WH16NS40 (recognized)
Image

Obviously, I can't do anything beyond this yet.

nathanddrews
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: UHD Blu-ray

Post by nathanddrews » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:34 pm

Log file of the attempted backups.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(309 Bytes) Downloaded 344 times

JeffR1
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:30 am

Re: UHD Blu-ray

Post by JeffR1 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:32 am

nathanddrews wrote:Log file of the attempted backups.
There sure isn't much on that log file, did you follow the instructions in this tutorial ?

/faq/item/8

nathanddrews
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: UHD Blu-ray

Post by nathanddrews » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:59 am

JeffR1 wrote:
nathanddrews wrote:Log file of the attempted backups.
There sure isn't much on that log file, did you follow the instructions in this tutorial ?

/faq/item/8
According to the tutorial, I did it correctly. I agree that it's short.

MrVideo
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:31 am

Re: UHD Blu-ray

Post by MrVideo » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:08 am

nathanddrews wrote:I got sick of waiting for my Amazon shipment, so I walked into Best Buy and bought "The Martian" 4K UltraHD Blu-ray.
You aren't going to be able to back it up, even if you get a drive that will read the disc. The 4K releases have to use AACS 2.0, which has not been busted, yet. The DVDFab owner's put out a release that said they have zero plans to do so.

James Freeman
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:40 am

Re: UHD Blu-ray

Post by James Freeman » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:43 am

I wonder if MakeMKV rely on SlySoft servers, or have they decrypted AACS 1.0 (up to v57) using their unique own method... :?:

JeffR1
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:30 am

Re: UHD Blu-ray

Post by JeffR1 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:31 am

nathanddrews wrote:
JeffR1 wrote:
nathanddrews wrote:Log file of the attempted backups.
There sure isn't much on that log file, did you follow the instructions in this tutorial ?

/faq/item/8
According to the tutorial, I did it correctly. I agree that it's short.
We'll give it a few days then, I'm sure it will be quite simple to deal with and they'll get right on it... :lol:

Woodstock
Posts: 7241
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Re: UHD Blu-ray

Post by Woodstock » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:30 pm

James Freeman wrote:I wonder if MakeMKV rely on SlySoft servers, or have they decrypted AACS 1.0 (up to v57) using their unique own method... :?:
My guess is Mike has his own method, although there is provisions within MakeMKV to use the "volume key database" maintained by others. That way, if a key in that publicly-available database gets revoked, it does not affect MakeMKV.
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8

nathanddrews
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: UHD Blu-ray

Post by nathanddrews » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:26 pm

MrVideo wrote:
nathanddrews wrote:I got sick of waiting for my Amazon shipment, so I walked into Best Buy and bought "The Martian" 4K UltraHD Blu-ray.
You aren't going to be able to back it up, even if you get a drive that will read the disc. The 4K releases have to use AACS 2.0, which has not been busted, yet. The DVDFab owner's put out a release that said they have zero plans to do so.
Capt. Obvious is obvious.

MrVideo
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:31 am

Re: UHD Blu-ray

Post by MrVideo » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:40 am

nathanddrews wrote:
MrVideo wrote:
nathanddrews wrote:I got sick of waiting for my Amazon shipment, so I walked into Best Buy and bought "The Martian" 4K UltraHD Blu-ray.
You aren't going to be able to back it up, even if you get a drive that will read the disc. The 4K releases have to use AACS 2.0, which has not been busted, yet. The DVDFab owner's put out a release that said they have zero plans to do so.
Capt. Obvious is obvious.
The way some of the posts were written, it read like backing up the disc was going to be a possibility. So, out came Capt Obvious to make sure. :mrgreen:

nathanddrews
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: UHD Blu-ray

Post by nathanddrews » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:40 pm

MrVideo wrote:The way some of the posts were written, it read like backing up the disc was going to be a possibility. So, out came Capt Obvious to make sure. :mrgreen:
You must have missed the last sentence of that post "Obviously, I can't do anything beyond this yet.". I only wanted to get the discs in my hands to test out which of my BD drives would recognize or read the discs. I had no expectation of adding it to my library yet. ;)

goaliebob99
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:35 am

Re: UHD Blu-ray

Post by goaliebob99 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:48 pm

nathanddrews wrote:I got sick of waiting for my Amazon shipment, so I walked into Best Buy and bought "The Martian" 4K UltraHD Blu-ray. Tested on:


LG WH16NS40 (recognized)
Image

Obviously, I can't do anything beyond this yet.
I am super excited to see that it works on the LG WH16NS40. This is the same drive that I have. You may need to upgrade your firmware though. I am on the latest 1.02-A0 and am going to test with that. Also, I plan on making an ISO copy of the movies until the encryption is busted so I can make a backup of my legally purchased movies, and play them back in the digital file format that I choose.

goaliebob99
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:35 am

Re: UHD Blu-ray

Post by goaliebob99 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:47 pm

goaliebob99 wrote:
nathanddrews wrote:I got sick of waiting for my Amazon shipment, so I walked into Best Buy and bought "The Martian" 4K UltraHD Blu-ray. Tested on:


LG WH16NS40 (recognized)
Image

Obviously, I can't do anything beyond this yet.
I am super excited to see that it works on the LG WH16NS40. This is the same drive that I have. You may need to upgrade your firmware though. I am on the latest 1.02-A0 and am going to test with that. Also, I plan on making an ISO copy of the movies until the encryption is busted so I can make a backup of my legally purchased movies, and play them back in the digital file format that I choose.

Drats.... F*ING LG! It appears I have the older one... Ordering a new one on Amazon.com now.... Just read through the thread over at AVS...

Post Reply