SlySoft DEAD

Everything related to MakeMKV
Loiosh

Re: SlySoft DEAD

Post by Loiosh »

I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank you guys for the wonderful service that you have provided. As a PLEX user, but supporter of those hard working people who make movies happen, it is nice to be able to purchase actual Blurays and convert them into the best format for my viewing arrangement.

MakeMKV has been the best way to do that for years, and I really appreciate all the effort you guys have put into it. I hope you continue to provide this excellent services and product and will happily continue to support MakeMKV and recommend it to others.
gamecaptor

Post by gamecaptor »

One thing I've learned in my lifetime is that where there is a will there is a way. I am certain that something will rise from the ashes of AnyDVD; I believe someone will continue to keep current AACS and BD+ circumvent alive.

Look at the video game industry. It's only a matter of time before someone cracks a console wide open. And when one group gives up, another jumps right in. I do not believe this to be any different.

It will probably be a while with AACS 2.0, but again I have to think someone will figure it out eventually (how convoluted it will be is another story).
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

I'm sorry to see AnyDVD go! Granted I've only used it a couple of times since I started using MakeMKV, it's still a great loss to consumers!

But, if MakeMKV is based on AnyDVD HD, why are there warnings about the way AnyDVD HD does things in MakeMKV?

When you have two different companies working on something similar, sometimes one gets ahead of the other. Since AnyDVD HD was updated when needed, they could handle newer schemes sooner than MakeMKV which seemed to be on a quarterly schedule.

SC
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

My guess is that MakeMKV is not Mike's primary job, which is why the price is relatively low, the purchased license is "lifetime", and the fact that Mike really doesn't visit here every day.

SlySoft was a bigger operation, apparently with full-time people, so some more ambitious things got done. They charged more money, (apparently) gave "instant" support, etc. And they had money to advertise.

And that made them a big target.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
smashey

Post by smashey »

A lot of companies offer lifetime licence and later regret it. New product comes out (UHD BD), people with an existing lifetime license expect to get a free update to handle this product. That's not financially viable for the vendor so they shut down, create a new shell corporation and continue work under a new name.

Even though AnyDVD is gone and DVDFab released a statement saying they will not attempt to decrypt UHD-BD, I suspect the coders behind these projects will continue work as usual and will offer decryption products under a new name, new lifetime license etc.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

smashey wrote:A lot of companies offer lifetime licence and later regret it. New product comes out (UHD BD), people with an existing lifetime license expect to get a free update to handle this product. That's not financially viable for the vendor so they shut down, create a new shell corporation and continue work under a new name.
When DVDFab brought out their Cinavia removal update to the software, those with a complete product line lifetime license were given a steep discount (for a certain period of time). All other buyers were also given a reduced price, for a certain time.

In other words, new product = new license fee. For them, lifetime is for the product purchased, i.e., all of the modules, or only certain ones.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Woodstock wrote:The servers for MakeMKV are in St. Petersburg, Russia. From a hosting standpoint, applicable law would be Russian. His payment processing company is in the US, so that might be a problem, but that could be changed.

Does MakeMKV have any dependencies on other projects? No clue. But I doubt anything from SlySoft is embedded in it.
DvdFab went thru similar issues in their past which shut them down completely. Fixes including getting rid of their ".com" and replacing it with ".cn" instead. There was a time they also had to offer a "U.S. version" to U.S. customers which I do not think was any different whatsoever. They also had to relocate payment processors because of threats/sanctions.

Sounds like MakeMKV has preemptively done this but we all know it is not airtight and a matter of time before adjustments will be needed.

I suspect the same stuff will happen with AnyDvd so it's a wait and see game.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

Krawk wrote:There was a time [DVDFab] also had to offer a "U.S. version" to U.S. customers which I do not think was any different whatsoever.
It was different. No decryption of Blu-rays.
Badnews

Post by Badnews »

There already starting up again. REDFOX new name

https://forum.redfox.bz/
onland

Post by onland »

Badnews wrote:There already starting up again. REDFOX new name
Didn't take too long:
https://torrentfreak.com/anydvd-admins- ... ck-160229/
http://www.myce.com/news/anydvd-lead-de ... 2-0-78721/
Wondercow

Post by Wondercow »

JeffR1 wrote:It's too bad we can't have a civil conversion with out you being rude and condescending. If you find my first post in this thread not to your liking, it would be nice if you could just say it with out your sarcasm.
"Hello Mr Kettle"
"Good day to you Mr Pot"
"Mr Kettle, are you aware that you are a distinct, midnight-and-pitch shade of black!"
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

VHS came out with copy protection. It was cracked. Rinse. Repeat. Now, nobody cares.

DVD came out with unbreakable copy protection. It was cracked. Rinse. Repeat. Now, nobody cares.

Blu-ray came out with even more unbreakable copy protection. It was cracked. Rinse. Repeat. Soon, no one will care.

UHD Blu-ray is coming out with even MORE unbreakable copy protection. It will be cracked. Rinse. Repeat.

Meanwhile streaming is getting more and more traction yet within a couple hours of a TV show or movie being posted to a streaming service you can have it on your hard drive without paying for the streaming service.

Frankly studios should just embrace the fact that a very small minority of people like to use their bought and paid for media in a specific manner. It's at the point now where "fighting the good fight" just makes them look stupid. MakeMKV is a free program that accepts payment to unlock a lifetime key instead of payment just to use the program.

I know 2 people who use MakeMKV. Me and my friend. We buy 5-20 physical media movies a month between us. I know plenty of people who pay $8 a month for Netflix yet to studios I'm in the wrong for having spent more money on less content (though in far superior quality) in the first place?

Take away MakeMKV and I'll find a way to get what I want, for free, instead. That sounds like a winning strategy. Disney is already leading the way by not taking my money for some of their 3D movies in NA. I openly dare them to sue me for not spending $25, when I want to, and instead downloading Frozen 3D online because Disney chooses to not make it available to purchase in my region. So go ahead and try and get hundreds of thousands of dollars I don't have because you don't want the $25 that I do. That makes sense. :roll:
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Badnews wrote:There already starting up again. REDFOX new name

https://forum.redfox.bz/

Thanks for this.
Apparently old Forum accounts still work.
They released a new version to continue to access their online fups database.
I know fups is a term used here but it makes sense. "Fix Ups"