Multiple titles on one disc

Everything related to MakeMKV
taylorwmj

Re: Multiple titles on one disc

Post by taylorwmj »

While I understand wanting to use the easiest way to determine the correct playlist, there really is no guarantee any of these methods with length of feature would work. Additionally, I understand why discussing the topic could potentially lead to finding a much easier way that is guaranteed to work, but at this point I generally find we haven't got anywhere with finding a free and easy alternative.

The only truly fail-proof method is using PowerDVD with Procmon on a non-VM install of Windows. I still recommend this as the sole solution to finding the correct playlist.

Also, at this point, I wouldn't spend too much time finding an alternative as it appears Mike is adding a feature in a future update that will pick the correct playlist on discs with playlist obfuscation. He previously had posted a couple stickies in some of the sub-forums requesting some help with it, but it appears he has removed the posts now.
sleevemedia

Post by sleevemedia »

I know I will benefit from the knowledge of people here, so rather than entering these forums and saying something stupid, I'm going to retract this post.
Last edited by sleevemedia on Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

I've never used VLC to play a Blu-ray. I'll have to look into that.
taylorwmj

Post by taylorwmj »

MrVideo wrote:I've never used VLC to play a Blu-ray. I'll have to look into that.
There are some instructions here on the forums from Mike on how to do it. He has instructions for both Linux and OS X I believe.

I've had fairly good success with both, just not if you want to try and use the discs' menus. That's dependent on the libbluray library (which is dependent on Java being installed) which comes standard now with the latest version of VLC. Some of the older Blu-ray discs will open with full menu support (also have to enable full menus), but many of the new ones will not work with menus; you'll have to straight open them.

That also brings us to using VLC in conjunction with MakeMKV to open a Blu-ray disc with playlist obfuscation. VLC will not pick the correct .mpls playlist and there is no way to tell which is the correct playlist natively via VLC. The choosing of the correct playlist is handled via the menu of the disc and the user selecting the "play" button in the UI. The button click/select action points to the correct playlist in the code of the disc. Thus, if there is no way to access the standard menus on a disc with playlist obfuscation (or the code behind it), there really is no way to know what the correct playlist is.
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

I got it to play the Star Wars The Force Awakens disc, but with no menus checked. Otherwise it would not start if it was unchecked. Once it started playing, I couldn't find a way to display which playlist it was playing. When I looked under playlist, all I saw was the title of the movie, to title number.
Beck38

Post by Beck38 »

MrVideo wrote: Not true. A prime example is the release of Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 2. There is a boatload of play lists on that disk. All but a few of them that play the main feature all have the same total length.
Since I have that disc ripped right in front of me, you're totally wrong.

Where you're going off the tracks, is that the disc authoring was set up for multiple regions and main language track selection (so that as the discs were going through the production process, the only thing that needed to be changed, for the different bluray 'regions', was making the region setting).

Very common with many/most blurays that are produced today. The 00800.mpls is the correct mpls for English language selection, although any of the others (00801 and beyond), although if one choose one of the other mpls's, the difference between any of them and the English selection probably wouldn't be noticed until the end of the film and the credits, where the language would be changed to whatever (in this case Spanish or whatever).

But the 'total time' is usually either very close or identical to the English version.

One movie in the somewhat recent past that sticks in my mind as the incorrect mpls was used, then the result spread across the internet, was the Spielberg 'War of the Worlds' movie from 2005. This was pretty early days in Bluray ripping and processing, and the movie was lacking some 2-3 minutes or so (from the actual listed run time) due to it.

For the 'Mockingbird Part 2' I don't know if one chose the wrong mpls that there would be much if any (or noticeable) difference (since they are all the identical run times) but since it's 'regA' going with the English version makes sense and generally good practice.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Disney titles use 800/801/802. You pick the play list according to your language preference, with 800 being English.

Lionsgate (distributor of Hunger Games properties, among others) puts dozens to hundreds of fake titles, with out-of-order segments, in the disk directory, and one "real" play list with the segments in order. Which play list that is varies with where and when you buy the disk.

Mike says he's working on a way to determine which is the "real" play list. It is coming in a future version of MakeMKV.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

Beck38 wrote:
MrVideo wrote: Not true. A prime example is the release of Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 2. There is a boatload of play lists on that disk. All but a few of them that play the main feature all have the same total length.
Since I have that disc ripped right in front of me, you're totally wrong.
Sorry, but I am not. I don't know what version you have, but the version I have has hundreds of play lists that have the same 18 segments with many segments played out-of-order. The total play time of those play lists is the same. One of the correct play lists in this case is 706:

Code: Select all

510 503 517 513 520 501 519 505 504 508 506 512 509 507 514 515 516 518
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

Woodstock wrote:Mike says he's working on a way to determine which is the "real" play list. It is coming in a future version of MakeMKV.
That is going to be a good trick. In the example that I give above, I don't see how he is going to figure out which play list is the correct one. More power to him.
bobface

Post by bobface »

I thought I found this site on this forum, but I don't see anyone posting it. Here is a list where people add in blu ray info like correct playlists and all kinds of crazy technical info on audio stream bitrate etc. Opening the link might take a bit to load because it's so huge, but it's really helpful. Remember, CTRL+F is your friend to help search for titles. It really helps with the playlist obfuscation discs.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-r ... hread.html
taylorwmj

Post by taylorwmj »

MrVideo wrote:
Woodstock wrote:Mike says he's working on a way to determine which is the "real" play list. It is coming in a future version of MakeMKV.
That is going to be a good trick. In the example that I give above, I don't see how he is going to figure out which play list is the correct one. More power to him.
Thing is, he's most likely not using any method that's easy to handle for end users--none of this correct order nonsense. Like I stated earlier in the thread, he's most likely trying to parse through the code on the disc finding where the disc menu points to a specific playlist on a click/submit event and will have the software label that as the main title.
SuperUser86

Post by SuperUser86 »

Any news in this subject? :|
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

SuperUser86 wrote:Any news in this subject? :|
I don't think this is going to be a simple, all-encompassing fix where any and every disc that gets dropped in will instantly have its correct playlist displayed. I could be wrong - and wish I was - but there's too much evidence against; even AnyDVD frequently runs into issues with obfuscation which the developers then have to on-the-fly software update so it reads info correctly...and that's the gold standard for dealing with playlist obfuscation IMO. With what appears to be only one developer for MakeMKV (Mike), one will need to be patient with how this feature plays out...and expect frequent updates...again IMO.