Why Beta?

Everything related to MakeMKV
tech_derek

Why Beta?

Post by tech_derek »

Hello. I have been using this product for a while, and it has always been in beta mode. Why has there never been released an official version?

P.S. There's really nothing wrong with it - I actually love the program. I'm just curious.
electronicsguy

Re: Why Beta?

Post by electronicsguy »

tech_derek wrote:Hello. I have been using this product for a while, and it has always been in beta mode. Why has there never been released an official version?

P.S. There's really nothing wrong with it - I actually love the program. I'm just curious.
Every software actively in use is beta software.
Ant93

Post by Ant93 »

I agree, its been in beta for far too long, as I've said before, the upcoming version 2.00 of MakeMKV would be a good point for it to come out of beta!

But the developers never take any notice of this and seem to want it to remain in beta indefinitely for some strange reason!

It also annoys me that Mike never comments in threads about this issue!
matt198t

Post by matt198t »

It's obviously to do with legal status. C'mon people, wise up.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Take a look at other software that has "release versions". One I use is handbrake (handbrake.fr).

The release version is "feature locked". The only changes to it are to fix bugs in the features that were there when the release was set. If you want one of the features introduced since then (and there have been dozens), you need to use their "nightly build" branch, which really isn't even "beta level".

Add to this that Mike has said that you're free to use MakeMKV without paying for it while it is still in beta.

Seems the argument for a lot of people is for keeping it in beta as long as possible.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Ant93

Post by Ant93 »

Woodstock wrote:Take a look at other software that has "release versions". One I use is handbrake (handbrake.fr).

The release version is "feature locked". The only changes to it are to fix bugs in the features that were there when the release was set. If you want one of the features introduced since then (and there have been dozens), you need to use their "nightly build" branch, which really isn't even "beta level".
I know, I use Handbrake regularly too (once I've ripped DVD/BD's with MakeMKV!), but I only use the official releases (despite the long period of time between each one!), I don't use the nightly builds of it as I'd rather wait for the new features to be implemented/tested properly!

P.S. I'm very much looking forward to the 1.0 release of Handbrake which will be a major upgrade for the software!