Audio sync problems when extracting specific segments

Everything related to MakeMKV
FordGuy61

Audio sync problems when extracting specific segments

Post by FordGuy61 »

Hello,

I'm using MakeMKV to rip a concert DVD. There are two choices: First, the entire program, which includes non-concert segments interleaved into the concert (song, personal interview with band manager, song...); Second, just the concert.

The "Concert Only" portion is not a separate video on the DVD, it is only specific segments of the entire program.

MakeMKV encounters audio sync issues when attempting to rip just the Concert Only selection. There are enough that they are not displayed on screen and only placed in the log file. The resulting mkv file has severely corrupted audio.

The problem is only with the LPCM audio. The DD 5.1 audio rips fine. There are no problems ripping the entire program.

Any ideas on how to successfully rip the Concert Only portion, including LPCM audio? Would rather not split/recombine manually unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks.

Entire Program
-----------------
Source title ID: 2
Duration: 1:49:02
Chapters count: 29
Size: 6.4 GB
Segment count: 1
Segment map: 1-29

Concert Only
---------------
Source title ID: 3
Duration: 1:34:09
Chapters count: 21
Size: 5.6 GB
Segment count: 8
Segment map: 1-3,4-5,6-8,9-11,12,13-17,18-20,21

Error Messages
-----------------
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:16:36.374 with duration of 1.67ms : audio gap was filled with silence
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:16:36.398 with duration of 1.666ms : 1 overlapping frame(s) dropped at segment boundary
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:16:36.416 with duration of 1.67ms : audio gap was filled with silence
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:16:36.439 with duration of 1.666ms : 1 overlapping frame(s) dropped at segment boundary
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:16:36.448 with duration of 1.67ms : audio gap was filled with silence
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:16:36.471 with duration of 1.666ms : 1 overlapping frame(s) dropped at segment boundary
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:16:36.489 with duration of 1.67ms : audio gap was filled with silence
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:16:36.513 with duration of 1.666ms : 1 overlapping frame(s) dropped at segment boundary
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:16:36.531 with duration of 1.67ms : audio gap was filled with silence
Too many AV synchronization issues in file '.....mkv' (title #3) , future messages will be printed only to log file
dabelstein

Re: Audio sync problems when extracting specific segments

Post by dabelstein »

Hi
Did you ever get a solution to this? I am experiencing exactly the same thing. If i rip the whole disc the audio seems fine. When i open it manually and split the file, the audio gets the errors and ends up all distorted.

regards
Greg
FordGuy61

Re: Audio sync problems when extracting specific segments

Post by FordGuy61 »

I ended up manually splitting and re-combining the video to edit out the unwanted segments.

I ripped the entire video using MakeMKV. I then used MKVToolNix to split the video and recombine only the segments I wanted to keep. Fortunately, the splits were at chapter markers, so it made things pretty easy.

After recombining, the LPCM audio played fine.

I've a couple of other concert DVDs which did not have this problem, so chalking it up to how the DVD was produced.

Cheers.