No beta-key for June -2016

Everything related to MakeMKV
Peter01

Re: No beta-key for June -2016

Post by Peter01 »

overblod wrote:So is the purchase lifetime? or annual? does it have expiration date?
Good question, would be interesting for me too.
nateson wrote:... $50 it cost right now. ...
And if you go to this site for paying, then for some reason it's (for me, because I'm from europe) 50,- € (not 50,- $, but 50,- $ should be at moment something about 44,- €!) and excluding there are some taxes at about 10,5 € ("MwSt (21%))", so it's alltogether 60,5 €, what would be converted to Dollar something about 68,76 $!
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

Just change the date on your PC back a month, re-install the expired beta key and restart MakeMKV and continue ripping. When done update to the current date on your PC and enjoy. Seems this thread shows up after each an every expiry.
marcelospera

Post by marcelospera »

Batiatus wrote:Just change the date on your PC back a month, re-install the expired beta key and restart MakeMKV and continue ripping. When done update to the current date on your PC and enjoy. Seems this thread shows up after each an every expiry.
I will. Thanks! But I never used a beta key. I just install the newer version and it works fine (until now). Where did I find this beta key?
rajmahid

Post by rajmahid »

Does anyone think it's odd that Mike hasn't responded to any posts relating to June beta key or purchase questions?

Maybe he quit or just waiting to see how many people actually buy it.
Peter01

Post by Peter01 »

As already written here, I also think that it's not a good time to buy now. Maybe the software is no longer being developed.
Has it already ever occurred that the key was a week overdue?

You can find an other well known software in internet, which is at moment 20% off. Means for example for the bluray copy edition something about 76,- €!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Peter01 wrote:As already written here, I also think that it's not a good time to buy now. Maybe the software is no longer being developed.
If you hang around here long enough, you will get the impression that Mike is not doing MakeMKV as his primary job. He is not the most active participant on the board. But, he does communicate; I received an email from Mike last week, letting me know that a bug that I reported is being taken care of in the next version, which I expect to be out "real soon now".

The decision to purchase a license is entirely up to the user. Many people run on the beta keys "forever", because they only rip a few disks a week. Others need it constantly - I have 10 BDs to rip today.

And since it's a one-time registration (not annual like others), I don't have to go hunting for a registration key periodically.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

Peter01 wrote:Has it already ever occurred that the key was a week overdue?
Yes, since joining the forum, I would say that this is a fairly common occurrence.
As Woodstock pointed out, this project has always appeared to me to be a one man team, so just give Mike time.

I work with approximately 20 discs per month so the $50 was well worth it for me.
I would have paid $100 or more. :wink:
Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
mukiex

Post by mukiex »

Did anyone see the post about the Chinese knock-off app? Chances are that the next key update is on hold so that people can see that they're being scammed.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you're referring to this post, check the message date... that was six years ago.

I'm more inclined to speculate that there is a new version coming out shortly. But I have nothing to really base that on, other than "it's about that time...."
svaasvendsen

Post by svaasvendsen »

I think the problem about the beta key is bigger.
Downloading a new version and running the newest version is fine, except that I cannot run anything newer than 1.9.2 on my Windows XP maschines. I have tried several versions and must always return to version 1.9.2 to run.
This creates a demand for beta keys to the old versions.

I would very much like to be able to upgrade to new version but I cannot do this on any of my windows XP maschines. (And I have no DVD drive in my newest Windows 10 laptop
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

Peter01 wrote:As already written here, I also think that it's not a good time to buy now. Maybe the software is no longer being developed.

You can find an other well known software in internet, which is at moment 20% off. Means for example for the bluray copy edition something about 76,- €!
Personally speaking, I think it's the right time to buy. I've been using the betas for a number of years now, and very regularly, so decided it's time to pony up for something that has served me well (thanks, Mike!). And I don't have to wait for the temporary beta keys again.
DocSavage

Post by DocSavage »

Peter01 wrote:...
And if you go to this site for paying, then for some reason it's (for me, because I'm from europe) 50,- € (not 50,- $, but 50,- $ should be at moment something about 44,- €!) and excluding there are some taxes at about 10,5 € ("MwSt (21%))", so it's alltogether 60,5 €, what would be converted to Dollar something about 68,76 $!
This is what also keeps me from buying yet. I think it's not fair we in Europe have to pay about 35% more! I would love to support the developer but I only rip ~3 discs per month and for that the price is too high for me.
ThankYouRob

Post by ThankYouRob »

I have yet to buy a key and been running the beta key for a couple months. I'd be happy to purchase one, although, I don't want to buy it without knowing that this is software that will no longer be updated or supported. If I can get some assurance there, Mike will definitely get my $50.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

For those outside the US, Mike said that he has a price of US$50 set with Avangate, and they adjust the price for people outside the US so that Mike gets the same cash (minus their transaction fee) whether it's bought by someone in the US or someone elsewhere.

There are currency conversion costs. But whether or not that excuses Avangate from using 50€ for the base price, I cannot say. That is a hefty premium, most of the time.

Another issue is that the software is subject to taxes in other markets, and Avangate is obligated to collect those taxes if you buy from there. So yes, if you buy from Germany, France, the U.K, or where ever they have VAT, you're going to be hit with VAT.
ShardDragoon

Post by ShardDragoon »

Funny that Avangate processes after the issues they had stemming from the big DVDFab shutdown. Anywho, since predictions are all the rage on Mike right now I'm going with my experience with small dev teams and placing my bet on vacation. Leaving for vacation and not bothering with little things like a new beta key while you're away is pretty typical for a small dev team.