DVD SRT

Everything related to MakeMKV
jimva

DVD SRT

Post by jimva »

Lets start with I love MKV.

Now that I have learned way more about DVD's than I want to here's the problem.

I love Plex and have invested heavily into it. Plex prefers text based .srt files for many valid reasons. Plex prefers .mkv files as well.

I have to rip each dvd twice.

1. MakeMKV to get video, audio, and chapters.
2. Any DVD copy program to hard drive then use ccExtrator to get .srt file.

Now mux the 2 files together.

Please update MakeMKV to pull the srt data out to the MKV file.

I have been wanting to and feeling guilty about not donating, do this and you will leave me no choice but to donate!
Woodstock

Re: DVD SRT

Post by Woodstock »

There are a number of tools out there to convert the graphic DVD subtitles ("VOBSUB") into text, with varying degrees of success. There are also tools that pull the VOBSUBs out of the MKV file, and can merge the SRT or ASS/SSA files you find on internet into the MKV file (ASS/SSA is much more advanced than SRT); check out mkvtoolnix.

It is doubtful that Mike will change MakeMKV to do what you ask, because he's stated that wasn't a priority. The solutions I've seen for the tasks are not compatible with how Mike licenses his program, so he'd either have to develop it from scratch, or get someone to change their licensing.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

jimva wrote:Lets start with I love MKV.

I have been wanting to and feeling guilty about not donating, do this and you will leave me no choice but to donate!
Sounds like you're really happy with MakeMKV, and have a perfectly good solution via an additional tool for creating the output you want for Plex. It may not be everything you want in one package but why not simply contribute anyway? You know you want to! :D
chaslinux

Post by chaslinux »

I'm not sure about Plex, but I know KODI/XBMC plays subtitles well with files ripped by MakeMKV (I'm a paid user). Subtitles are not on by default however - wonder if it's the same with Plex and you just need to activate them?
jimva

Post by jimva »

Yes yorgo: I will donate soon even though my wish may not come true :wink: .

Woodstock: Thanks for your comment I've tried just about all and was looking for the convenience of one click app.

chaslinux: So far I have not had any big issues yet with Plex handling graphics based closed caption. It's just that I have done a allot of reading and it appears that if I want guaranteed performance then a text based closed caption is the best.

As I understand it the issue with graphics based closed captions is when you transcode the video to a different size or different frame rate the graphics based closed captions cannot be guaranteed to work properly.

Conversely if you use text based closed captions essentially all video players will show the captions correctly no matter what is done to the video.

Thanks all for your comments I hope I've given you all some food for thought.
:mrgreen: