3D movies not working

Everything related to MakeMKV
John M

3D movies not working

Post by John M »

I've used Make MKV to convert several 3D movies, including ones where the 3D version has its own disk, yet the resulting MKV file is always only 2D.

I've got the latest version of MakeMKV, so is there some extra step to get the 3D version?

Thanks for a great program, BTW.
Woodstock

Re: 3D movies not working

Post by Woodstock »

By default, MakeMKV does NOT select the 3D MVC track. You need to add that manually, or you can change the default selection rule in the advanced settings.

Manual mode: After the disk is loaded, the left menu will list the titles found. Click on the little triangle next to the movie title, and you will get a list of tracks within that title. Check the box next to "3D MVC" (going by memory here; it's been a while since I ripped a 3D disk).

You should now get the 3D information included in the MKV file.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
VAMET

Post by VAMET »

Dear John M
John M wrote:I've got the latest version of MakeMKV, so is there some extra step to get the 3D version?
Just add in Expert Mode:

Code: Select all

+sel:mvcvideo
...and it will always be selected, when you insert 3D movie. Of course you may add it manually - under video track you will have MVC, just tick it ;)

You must have a 3D .mkv capable player, such as for example: MPC-HC + madVR + LAV Filters.

Sincerely
John M

Post by John M »

Thanks guys, will give your suggestions a go.
John M

Post by John M »

I've tried selecting the 3d version, but the MKV produced is still only in 2D.

I've also tried adding the string in advance mode that VAMET suggested, and again the resulting MKV is still in 2D. And I'm using a Blu-ray disk that is just the 3D version of the movie, so I know I am not trying to rip the 2D version by mistake.

What I want to do is to be able to store a 3D copy on my PC, and stream it via my AppleTV to my 3D TV, but maybe this just isn't possible using Make MKV?

If not are there any other free programmes that will allow me to do this?

Thanks for any more advice.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Your Apple TV is not going to support it. You'd need a player that supports 3D MKV playback. I personally use J River MC22 with lav filters and madvr for my MKV playback, including 3D. While there may be some, I'm not aware of any stand alone players that support 3d MKV playback at this point in time.
VAMET

Post by VAMET »

Dear John M
John M wrote:I've tried selecting the 3d version, but the MKV produced is still only in 2D.
If not are there any other free programmes that will allow me to do this?
As I said before, you must have a 3D .mkv capable player, such as for example: MPC-HC + madVR + LAV Filters. MakeMKV creates .mkv 3D file without any problems. I am just watching Exodus: Gods and Kings without any problems. There is no problem with your .mkv file, but just with your player.

Sincerely
Xeneon

Post by Xeneon »

I'm having the same problem using Xbox One. Trying to play my 3D mkv through Plex, but it only comes through 2D (checked correct boxes in makemkv).
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yup, you're going to have the same problem trying to play it like that. And it is the same solution....use a player that supports 3D MKV playback. Plex does not. The XB1 does not.
John M

Post by John M »

OK, thanks. I presumed wrongly that the Apple TV would simply stream whatever you asked it to. Given the handful of 3D movies I would watch more than once, I doubt I'll be buying a separate player just for them. Cheaper to just buy the disks!
Xeneon

Post by Xeneon »

Are there any devices that support 3D mkv? I prefer watching movies on my couch much more than my office chair (PC).
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Not that I know of. I have a Home Theater PC attached to all my tv's in the house with a gigabit network between them for streaming MKV's. Now that LAV filters supports MVC and madVR supports 3D frame-packed rendering, that is by far the best solution for 3D playback, but, it requires a PC attached to the tv. I'm not aware of any stand alone devices that will play 3D frame-packed MKV's at this time. That's not to say they don't exist, simply, I don't know of any.
Joe Bar

Post by Joe Bar »

Mede8er has 3d-mvc capable players, but the cheapest and aybe easiest way is a RasPi running openelec/libreelec...
evertec

Post by evertec »

This thread has a lot of information on the different options and how to set them up. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221407
maslinpicard

Post by maslinpicard »

Ever after the disk is loaded, the left menu will list the titles found.