v1.10.1 Windows 10 SmartScreen Install Warning

Everything related to MakeMKV
Explosivo

v1.10.1 Windows 10 SmartScreen Install Warning

Post by Explosivo »

Hello Mike,

I'm a paid registered user. I got a Windows 10 SmartScreen warning on the latest installer. I don't remember this happening before - maybe it's an unsigned installer? It installed fine once I ignored the warning but thought you should know.
Woodstock

Re: v1.10.1 Windows 10 SmartScreen Install Warning

Post by Woodstock »

I had to google "Windows 10 SmartScreen" to figure out what you were talking about. Strangely, the top hundred or so hits are on why it is bad, and how to get rid of it....

As for the installer being signed, Win10 is going to complain about anything that isn't from the Microsoft Store and signed as "approved" by Microsoft. Worse yet, Mike does not seem to have one of those US$15K-and-up "code signing certificates", so his installs are not signed by anyone.

So yes, you will have to acknowledge the warning every time you install MakeMKV, unless you enter an exception for it or disable SmartScreen. And, personally, I don't disable those warnings, even though I find them irritating - it is a reminder to be vigilant, and verify that you really are installing what you think you're installing.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
matt198t

Post by matt198t »

Ignore it
Explosivo

Post by Explosivo »

I'll ignore it - but it's just weird because I've upgraded the last 10 incremental versions or so and don't remember this error coming up.