Video glitches on some Blu-ray rips

Everything related to MakeMKV
TheTerrorBeyond

Video glitches on some Blu-ray rips

Post by TheTerrorBeyond »

I have a problem with some Blu-ray discs ripping a file that exhibits video glitches and occasional stutters. The glitches are thin, linear blocking patterns across the screen with white blocks and various colors.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, and is there anything I can do to fix the issue?
Media Server: i7-6800k (6-core processor), 32GB RAM, MSI Carbon Pro board, SAS RAID, liquid cooling, NVIDIA 1080SC, (6) 10TB Barracuda Pro, (4)8TB Barracuda Pro, (1) 6TB Barracuda, (1) 4TB Barracuda, (1) Toshiba 512GB SSD, (1) Intel 256GB Intel M.2 SSD.
Yugatha

Re: Video glitches on some Blu-ray rips

Post by Yugatha »

Which movies? This can happen with new releases that there isn't an SVQ file for yet. If you can, send a report through to Mike per the instructions at http://www.makemkv.com/svq/
TheTerrorBeyond

Yugatha wrote:Which movies? This can happen with new releases that there isn't an SVQ file for yet. If you can, send a report through to Mike per the instructions at http://www.makemkv.com/svq/
Unfortunately this happens on newer and older discs.

Here is a list of discs that have done it recently:

Hellboy
Ichi the Killer
They Amityville Horror
Final Destination 5
Halloween
Friday the 13th
The Wrestler
Detroit Rock City
The Right Stuff

I have ripped hundreds of my Blu-ray discs to my media server, and the majority of them rip without issue.

I will look at the link you posted and send a report if you think I should do so.
Media Server: i7-6800k (6-core processor), 32GB RAM, MSI Carbon Pro board, SAS RAID, liquid cooling, NVIDIA 1080SC, (6) 10TB Barracuda Pro, (4)8TB Barracuda Pro, (1) 6TB Barracuda, (1) 4TB Barracuda, (1) Toshiba 512GB SSD, (1) Intel 256GB Intel M.2 SSD.
TheTerrorBeyond

I ripped the disc multiple times on both a Mac and a Windows 10 PC, and the file was corrupted in the same way on both computers.

I can't find the dump... I open discs manually and choose the specific file I want to rip. I do have "always created BD+ dumps" checked in the preferences though.

I am ripping "In the Heart of the Sea" again right now without opening the disc manually to see if I get a BD+ dump file.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If a disk requires a special SVQ file, you will have to have "Allow contacting server for updates" turned on in your Preferences.

But, you should also see a warning about BD+ not working, and "errors may follow".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
TheTerrorBeyond

Woodstock wrote:If a disk requires a special SVQ file, you will have to have "Allow contacting server for updates" turned on in your Preferences.

But, you should also see a warning about BD+ not working, and "errors may follow".
I have that checked, but I am still having issues. I am sending dumps to the email address now, so maybe the developers will know what is going on.

Thanks for the suggestion!