Audio issues with Blu-ray ripping

Everything related to MakeMKV
Wayned

Audio issues with Blu-ray ripping

Post by Wayned »

I have Mac OS X and I've ripped successfully a pair of Blu-ray movies using MakeMKV & MovAVIConverter (In the line of fire & 2001 A space odyssey), I've been less successful with Fate is the hunter & District 9. Fate is the hunter doesn't seem to have any sound<sigh>, District9 has a voice that describes what is going on. For example on the opening scene "A bunch of letters forming a symbol", etc. To try and figure out what the issue is, I'm trying to play the files created from backing up with MakeMKV. I don't have a TV convenient to try with streaming video.
This clown speaks for himself
Yugatha

Re: Audio issues with Blu-ray ripping

Post by Yugatha »

Fate is the hunter doesn't seem to have any sound<sigh>

What are you playing them back in? It could be that the playback software is incapable of playing back the audio format in the Fate is the Hunter file. The best measure to test is to use VLC Media Player, which plays back basically all audio and video formats.
District9 has a voice that describes what is going on. For example on the opening scene "A bunch of letters forming a symbol", etc.
Many Bluray and DVD movies have multiple audio tracks. Usually, these are different languages for the main movie. However, sometimes there are Audio for the Visually Impaired tracks, which are as you have described. To fix this, you'll need to select a different audio track for playback (VLC is great for checking this).
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

Yugatha wrote:The best measure to test is to use VLC Media Player, which plays back basically all audio and video formats.
VLC doesn't play DTSMAHD. Unless that has recently changed.
Wayned

Post by Wayned »

I thought I checked this last week<shakes head>

I'm going to have to take time and figure what is what, I never thought of using VLC to view the file
Wayned

Post by Wayned »

Yugatha wrote:
Fate is the hunter doesn't seem to have any sound<sigh>

What are you playing them back in? It could be that the playback software is incapable of playing back the audio format in the Fate is the Hunter file. The best measure to test is to use VLC Media Player, which plays back basically all audio and video formats.
District9 has a voice that describes what is going on. For example on the opening scene "A bunch of letters forming a symbol", etc.
Many Bluray and DVD movies have multiple audio tracks. Usually, these are different languages for the main movie. However, sometimes there are Audio for the Visually Impaired tracks, which are as you have described. To fix this, you'll need to select a different audio track for playback (VLC is great for checking this).
Right after I posted the original response, my wife & I left to visit her sister in upstate NY (Syracuse) & I forgot my power supply<doh!>

I tried the files I ripped with VLC, both Fate & District 9 had "errors". Errors is in quotes but the movie still played but there was a dialog box on both, I think Fate had 3 or 4 errors and District 9 had lots and lots and after what seemed to be 5-10 minutes, I got what looked like a trailer of some sort, the Interpol warning and then the movie. It looked terrific, now I need to figure out how to make movavi(??) act right. Can anyone suggest alternatives?