BD 3D/2D - video bitrate

Everything related to MakeMKV
VAMET

BD 3D/2D - video bitrate

Post by VAMET »

Dear Friends

As far as we know, there are 3D and 2D movies. I would like to ask, why 2D from BD 2D has got higher video bitrate then when extracting 2D from BD 3D?

I don't know you understand me, so I will explain.

I have got BD 2D of the movie A and I use MakeMKV to create .mkv file, the size of the movie is 20GB and video bitrate 25Mbps.
I have got also BD 3D of the same movie and I also use MakeMKV to create .mkv, but I don't check MVC, I only extract 2D movie from this BD 3D and the size of such movie is 17GB and video bitrate 22Mbps.

Why there is a difference? Overall there will be always better quality, when I create 2D .mkv from BD 2D then 2D from BD 3D?

Sincerely
MrVideo

Re: BD 3D/2D - video bitrate

Post by MrVideo »

VAMET wrote:Why there is a difference?
Where do you think the bits come from in order to display the image for the other eye... magic? When you only extract the 2D, or one eye, portion from a 3D movie, the other bits are left in the bit-bucket.
VAMET

Post by VAMET »

Dear MrVideo

...hmm, but 2D from BD 2D is also one eye and the size and video bitrate is much higher then 2D from BD 3D.

Are there any benefits of watching dedicated BD 2D, then watching 2D from BD 3D? Which one will be better in the quality matter?

Sincerely
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

Yes, a 2D release is only one eye, but it is the only thing that needs to be encoded, so it gets all of the bits. You are not going to be able to tell the difference between the two encodes anyway. Watch either one.