Version 1.10.2 - Trouble with the "semi-auto" Option

Everything related to MakeMKV
Grauhaar

Version 1.10.2 - Trouble with the "semi-auto" Option

Post by Grauhaar »

Hi,

I used MakeMKV since serval years, great tool and support :wink:

Now to the problem. I've upgraded from 1.10.1 to 1.10.2, all works well, AACS 6.2 is now supported. I used "Semi-Auto" for the Output Folder all the time and it works. But I have the need change the Output Folder name due to performance and storage reasons for one disc to an other folder. This works and after this is changed the Output Folder name back to the original folder name and from now on, the "Disc name" is no longer appended to the Output Folder name. f.e. I set the Output Folder to "D:/Video" and the Disc name is "Fargo". In the past the disc is stored under "D:/Video/Fargo" (...title_xx). Now it is stored under "D:/Video" (...title_xx). So the disc name is ignored, but I can see the corect name over the expert function.

Now I did some investigation to come closer to the cause:

1. Checked the Registry and found it under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER->SOFTWARE->MakeMKV"
2. Deinstalled 1.10.2
3. Reinstall 1.10.2
4. ---->> Problem persists
5. Deinstall 1.10.2
6. Delete the complete MakeMKV Path in the Registry
7. Iinstall 1.10.2 from scratch
8. ---->> Problem persist
9. Deinstall 1.10.2
10. Delete the complete MakeMKV Path in the Registry
11. Install 1.10.1 !!!! from scratch
12. ---->> Problem is gone, "Semi-Auto" works as expected, disc name is appended
13. Deinstall 1.10.1
14. Delete the complete MakeMKV Path in the Registry
15. Install 1.10.2 again
16. ---->> Problem comes back, the disc name is no longer appended

So in any case, with or without Registry cleanup, 1.10.1 works and after upgarde to 1.10.2 the disc name is no longer appended.

After the above evaluations I have tested a shorter track to fix it. Remove of 1.10.2 (without registry cleanup) and install 1.10.1 solves the problem also. So it looks like, that there is a small problem in 1.10.2 with the "semi-auto" option.

Thanks for checking and hopefully fixing it 8)
Greetings, Udo
Good Luck :)

Re: Version 1.10.2 - Trouble with the "semi-auto" Option

Post by Woodstock »

Actually, I thought you were going to complain about what I noticed with 1.10.2, that the output directory is REMEMBERED, even with the option set to "semi auto"... That is, whatever you last used is the default, rather than appending the disk name to the "semi auto" base directory....
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Yes, that's right. The last Output Folder name is remembered and used without appending the actual disc name, which is the sense of the semi-auto option.

Udo
Good Luck :)

Post by Krawk »

I wish there were a "Auto-Forced" option.
Create a folder based on the disc name like it always does and instead of using title_00, title_01, etc it would force the disc name in place of the word title. The program is entirely random in when it chooses to do this.
dchamb

Post by dchamb »

I thought I was doing something wrong but it seems you are all experiencing the same thing I am. Only I have never changed the semi-auto entry in settings. After I upgraded to 1.10.2 all my video rips were going to the same folder! Not good as I relied on this picking up the DVD/BluRay disc title as part of the path to help with workflow.

Is this a bug introduced to this version or is it now a feature. Because if it is a feature, please add back the original functionality of semi-auto under a different setting!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I'm guessing its a bug, but Mike will have to say for sure, once he sees this.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
gmc

Post by gmc »

I am glad you have reported this as I thought it was just me having the issue.
Mnemos

Post by Mnemos »

I'm seeing very inconsistent behavior with this bug. In most cases, it remembers the folder it ripped to the previous time, but I'm pretty sure that I've seen it remember the parent folder of the folder that was ripped to the previous time, and just now, it went to the base folder that's in preferences. But in no case have I seen it actually append the name of the disc to the end of the path. So, I have no clue what logic it could be using to determine what the name of the folder should be.

In any case, hopefully it gets fixed in the next release.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

It is a bug. MakeMKV now remembers previously entered locations (fro MKV and backup), but semi-auto option was broken in a process. Will be fixed in the next version.
Yugatha

Post by Yugatha »

I'm sure it's known, but I'd like to add that Custom is broken as well (likely the same issue). Using 3 instances, the third instance I set the Custom location in Preferences, then loaded the disc. It then went to a previous directory instead of what it should have been as set in the Custom directory.

Only noticed on the third instance, as the other two are currently in use / usually rip to the same location.
ThSpeck

Post by ThSpeck »

mike admin wrote:It is a bug. MakeMKV now remembers previously entered locations (fro MKV and backup), but semi-auto option was broken in a process. Will be fixed in the next version.
It seems not only semi-auto is affected, I get no subdirectory in any setting.
Sprig

Post by Sprig »

mike admin wrote:It is a bug. MakeMKV now remembers previously entered locations (fro MKV and backup), but semi-auto option was broken in a process. Will be fixed in the next version.
Mike, no disrespect, just a heads-up.

I didn't realize that I had installed a newer version at first. Part of my troubleshooting was to remove the program and deleted every registry entry I could find related to MKV. I had inconsistent results in EVERY mode, not just "semi-auto".

I once, ACCIDENTALLY added a second "/" (forward slash) to one of the fields and got a change in results.

If you do spend some time to update the interface, these are the enhancements that I would like to see.
1)Option to end up in the main folder if only 1 title is selected, or a new subfolder with the disk name if more then one title is selected.
2)Option to prefix the disk name to the title name; or if a single title is selected just the disk name; Example "Taken.mkv".
3)Option for choosing any drive letter and folder instead of the default Drive/Video folder; as it looks like you may have been attempting with this new version.

I'm reasonably satisfied with the program, but I end up manually moving and/or renaming every file for different reasons. This to me, means it is still a "Beta" program. Once the program gets a little more refined and reduces my time in the process, I'll happily purchase the licence.

Hope this was worth your time to read.