MakeMKV Output Folder Default with All-Caps Named After DVD

Everything related to MakeMKV
mike_mgoblue

MakeMKV Output Folder Default with All-Caps Named After DVD

Post by mike_mgoblue »

Please tell me what I need to do in order to make it so MakeMKV once again operates the way it did when I first installed it. In particular, I am referring to the Output Folder. In the past, I could click on the "MakeMKV" icon and I would receive notice that there is currently no folder with such a name. I would then be asked if I wanted MakeMKV to create such a folder. I would then approve of this. The result would be a Folder created in all-caps with the same name as the DVD. I approved of this very much; however, I must have changed something because I no longer can get MakeMKV to do this anymore. I have experimented with Preferences including "None" and "Custom" and "Auto" and "Semi-Auto" and none of them produces the results where MakeMKV creates an Output Folder in Videos where the Folder has the same name as the Label of the DVD. I thought it was nice the way MakeMKV would actually select either drive C or drive F, whichever had more space available at the time.

I tried uninstalling MakeMKV with the hope that reinstalling MakeMKV would reset everything. But it now appears MakeMKV is not "completely uninstalled" when it is uninstalled, which means that certain settings and Preferences apply the next time MakeMKV is installed. This explains why reinstalling does not solve my problem. ... This is why I need you to tell me what the default settings are with MakeMKV and tell me how I can get things back to the way they were when MakeMKV was first installed and successfully created Output Folders in all-caps with the Folder having the name of the DVD.
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV Output Folder Default with All-Caps Named After

Post by Woodstock »

The automatic name MakeMKV assigns depends upon the DVD or BD title information, which is created by the disk authors. I've noticed that this is now mixed case more often than it was a few years ago.

There has not been a "force upper case" naming option in MakeMKV in the time I've been using it, but it might be a suggestion.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mike_mgoblue

Post by mike_mgoblue »

I set Preferences to "Automatic" and I entered "MakeMKV" as the Output Folder. This caused the message "Directory C:/Program Files (x86)/MakeMKV/MakeMKV does not exist. Do you want to create it?" to appear.

Does this mean the DVDs will then be sent to C:/Program Files (x86)/MakeMKV?

Or does this mean the DVDs will be sent to C:/Video with the name of the DVD as it originally did?

I just wanted to be sure before doing anything.

Thank you.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You really need to put a full path in for automatic to work; without at least a drive letter, the system interprets that as "a directory under the current program directory", which should NOT be a (generally) writable place.

If you want the base directory for your target to be C:\Video, that's what you would put in the blank.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mike_mgoblue

Post by mike_mgoblue »

Yeah, I see what you are talking about. Prior to receiving your answer, I tried just "MakeMKV" with no drive entered. It attempted to write into "C:/Program Files (x86)/MakeMKV" but it said everything "failed" write.

Is there any chance that this hurt my computer? Or was it just something that is impossible to write?
mike_mgoblue

Post by mike_mgoblue »

I was still not able to achieve success. ... Here is what I did:

I entered the following information into "Custom" so that it could be applied to "Automatic"

C:/Video/MakeMKV

I made sure "Automatic" was selected.

The Output Folder did say "C:/Video/MakeMKV"

But no Folder was created automatically with the same name as the DVD the way that it was in the past.

Instead, there was simply a Folder created by the name of "MakeMKV" inside the Video Folder of drive C.

I simply want to try to get MakeMKV to create its own Folder in the drive that has the most space, with the Folder named after the DVD. This is the way MakeMKV originally was.

If you know of a way to make this happen, please tell me exactly what to write and I will give that a try. ... Thank you.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Have you checked this problem: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15116

Sounds like you miss the appending of the disc name to the output folder. Mike has confirmed that this is a bug and it w'll be fixed soon.
Good Luck :)

Post by mike_mgoblue »

This is the exact problem I'm experiencing.

At least now we have identified the problem as a "bug."

I was under the presumption I must have accidentally done something to cause this problem.

I'm glad the "bug" is scheduled to be fixed in the next update.

Thank you for helping me out.