Is there an easy way to change the icon of a ripped BD / DVD

Everything related to MakeMKV
sharok

Is there an easy way to change the icon of a ripped BD / DVD

Post by sharok »

Is there an easy way to change the icon of my BD / DVD ripped .mkv files?

I'd like to change those file icons to the cover art for each movie file but I don't know how to.

Thanks
ndjamena

Re: Is there an easy way to change the icon of a ripped BD /

Post by ndjamena »

https://www.matroska.org/technical/cover_art/index.html

MKVToolNix GUI or MKVPropEdit would be helpful.
sharok

Post by sharok »

ndjamena wrote:https://www.matroska.org/technical/cover_art/index.html

MKVToolNix GUI or MKVPropEdit would be helpful.
Many thanks for the directions. I clicked on the suggested link and downloaded the "sample file" but when I played the file it was just a trailer of one of the "Dexter" seasons.
I checked the other two editors you mentioned, but that is way beyond my scripting knowledge.

Thanks again for your time.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

*sigh*

Download MKVToolNix if you haven't already, doubleclick the MKVToolNix GUI icon on your desktop, press the Header Editor tab on the side, drag and drop your mkv file onto the window, press the "Attachments" entry, press "Add Attachment," select your image file, click its new entry, change the "filename" field to "cover.jpg", choose save from the "Header Editor" menu at the top and for the most part the image you chose should be used as the file icon.
sharok

Post by sharok »

ndjamena wrote:*sigh*

Download MKVToolNix if you haven't already, doubleclick the MKVToolNix GUI icon on your desktop, press the Header Editor tab on the side, drag and drop your mkv file onto the window, press the "Attachments" entry, press "Add Attachment," select your image file, click its new entry, change the "filename" field to "cover.jpg", choose save from the "Header Editor" menu at the top and for the most part the image you chose should be used as the file icon.
Hello,
I followed your instructions step by step. But for some reason the icon does not show up after I save and close "MKVToolNix".
I tried it a couple of times. But it doesn't show. I dragged and dropped the file in the ToonNix again and checked the attachment where I could see "cover.jpg" in there, but it does not show on the movie file.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

What windows version are you using? I have Windows 10 with the *cough* Advance Codec Pack installed.

Windows 10 does come with a built in MKV demuxer but I don't know if that's enough.

If you can't get setting cover.jpg to work, unless you can find a program to edit the thumbs.db files, there's not much more you can do.
sharok

Post by sharok »

ndjamena wrote:What windows version are you using? I have Windows 10 with the *cough* Advance Codec Pack installed.

Windows 10 does come with a built in MKV demuxer but I don't know if that's enough.

If you can't get setting cover.jpg to work, unless you can find a program to edit the thumbs.db files, there's not much more you can do.
I also use Windows 10 but it seems like I don't have the Codec Pack you mentioned.

Thanks again.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/win7codecs.html

If you don't mind the idea of having a codec pack installed.

make sure the image is in the file properly:

MKVMerge -J File.mkv

Code: Select all

"attachments": [
    {
      "content_type": "image/jpeg",
      "description": "",
      "file_name": "cover.jpg",
      "id": 1,
      "properties": {
        "uid": 16698526274213420171
      },