Feature Request... Retain TrueHD 'AC3 Core'

Everything related to MakeMKV
Viper

Re: Feature Request... Retain TrueHD 'AC3 Core'

Post by Viper »

On a native blu-ray M2TS container the TrueHD, and AC3 Core are bundled into a single track for compatibility. If I use MakeMKV they get split up into two separate tracks, which ruins the ability to go back to a proper M2TS container if need be. It could also be a problem for any device that doesn't automatically failover to the next audio track. I'd like to see MakeMKV maintain the original track integrity to allow for backwards compatibility and future flexibility.

Thanks!
skittle

Post by skittle »

As stated previously in this thread, ts/m2ts is the only container that allows that.

perhaps makemkv could have an option to dump the m2ts
Viper

Post by Viper »

If that were true how is the SolveigMM Muxer able to do it via MKV? http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1 ... stcount=62
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It's certainly not a container issue. MKV can handle an interleaved THD+AC3 track. MakeMKV treats them as separate tracks when it writes them out to the MKV. Once they are "separated" (and I use that term loosely here) I've not found anything that can re-combine them into an interleaved THD+AC3 track that tsMuxer can recognize. The only way around this issue that I've found is to rip the track out with EAC3To, thus keeping the interleaved THD+AC3 track, and then merging it in with MKVMerge GUI or apparently Solveig. Otherwise, yes, once it's run through MakeMKV, you can no longer put it back into a M2TS/TS container.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

SamuriHL wrote:It's certainly not a container issue. MKV can handle an interleaved THD+AC3 track. MakeMKV treats them as separate tracks when it writes them out to the MKV. Once they are "separated" (and I use that term loosely here) I've not found anything that can re-combine them into an interleaved THD+AC3 track that tsMuxer can recognize. The only way around this issue that I've found is to rip the track out with EAC3To, thus keeping the interleaved THD+AC3 track, and then merging it in with MKVMerge GUI or apparently Solveig. Otherwise, yes, once it's run through MakeMKV, you can no longer put it back into a M2TS/TS container.
Please create a short few-seconds MKV with such audio track and send me the link.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

mike admin wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:It's certainly not a container issue. MKV can handle an interleaved THD+AC3 track. MakeMKV treats them as separate tracks when it writes them out to the MKV. Once they are "separated" (and I use that term loosely here) I've not found anything that can re-combine them into an interleaved THD+AC3 track that tsMuxer can recognize. The only way around this issue that I've found is to rip the track out with EAC3To, thus keeping the interleaved THD+AC3 track, and then merging it in with MKVMerge GUI or apparently Solveig. Otherwise, yes, once it's run through MakeMKV, you can no longer put it back into a M2TS/TS container.
Please create a short few-seconds MKV with such audio track and send me the link.
I created a 60 second clip just to give you more to work with. This is from Hancock. I ripped it with tsMuxer into a 60 second m2ts file, and then created a graph to create the MKV using SolveigMM Muxer. I do have to correct myself, however. I was incorrect when I said MKVMerge GUI was able to create an MKV with this type of audio track. SolveigMM Muxer is in fact the only one that is able to produce this track currently. That being said, I want you to see the media info on this to show that it is in fact, TrueHD/Core (that's just what they call it).

Code: Select all

General
Complete name                    : C:\Users\Samuri\Videos\Hancock_Test.mkv
Format                           : Matroska
File size                        : 159 MiB
Duration                         : 59s 768ms
Overall bit rate                 : 22.3 Mbps
Writing application              : SolveigMM Matroska Muxer
Writing library                  : libmatroska 0.9.0

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Muxing mode                      : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Maximum bit rate                 : 30.0 Mbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Language                         : English
Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Format profile                   : TrueHD / Core
Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)
Codec ID                         : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                    : Variable / Constant
Bit rate                         : Variable / 448 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 2 958 Kbps / 448 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 16 bits
Language                         : English
PLEASE NOTE: I am able to take the MKV and bring it into tsMuxer with no error. I'm also able to bitstream the TrueHD track with ffdshow+mpc-hc. This is what we're asking for...the ability to create TrueHD tracks exactly like this. Thank you for looking at this!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?bbdgtbmas8up177
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Mike, were you able to look at this file at all? Thanks!
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

SamuriHL wrote:Mike, were you able to look at this file at all? Thanks!
Yes, file is downloaded. I can even promise that this feature will be done in future version. I just can't promise you a timeframe.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

mike admin wrote: Yes, file is downloaded. I can even promise that this feature will be done in future version. I just can't promise you a timeframe.
Oh, that's great news! Thank you! As for time frames, I don't generally ask anyway, as I know how that works out for both the person giving it and the person asking, so, no problem there. Just the fact that you've given this a nod is wonderful!
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

Just curious, if you create an mkv with a THD+AC3 stream, can the core be streamed over SPDIF via MPC+FFdshow or any of the hardware players (such as WD Media players)?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

You shouldn't have a problem doing so.
mattmarsden

Post by mattmarsden »

I know this is annold thread but I’m really trying to mux an mkv with interleaved thd+ac3. I know the Solveig filter can do it but I’m struggling to create a graph that will do the muxing. Could someone help me? Thanks!