Audio in English, words in movie are Spanish?

Everything related to MakeMKV
justjake

Audio in English, words in movie are Spanish?

Post by justjake »

Occasionally when I rip a movie everything in the movie is in Spanish, but the audio is in English. What I mean by this is all the signs or titles within the movie are in Spanish. For example I ripped Frozen for my kids, but when the title screen comes up frozen is written in Spanish. Another example is the movie Wall-e, there is a part where it says "Accessing emergency camera" while watching it in my blu-player, but after ripping it, it's in spanish? There are many more examples but basically anything that is written in the movie is in Spanish.

When I load the blu-ray it comes up with number of titles to choose from, and they all look the same. I usually pick the first one that has the biggest file size. There could be 30+ with the same file size, how am I to know which one to choose?

Is there an easy way to know which one?
justjake

Re: Audio in English, words in movie are Spanish?

Post by justjake »

Just finished Wall-e with my son and all the credits are in Spanish.....where it should say producer, director, camera man etc are all Spanish?
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

You're ripping the wrong title.

Disney has various 'cuts' of a movie on their Blu Ray discs.

One for English, one Spanish and I think one French. All the m2ts files showing "signs" and such are replaced with m2ts files of the respective language the rest of the time the m2ts files are shared.

The English audio is in each of the titles and since you've set MakeMKV to only copy the English audio that's what it's ripping.
justjake

Post by justjake »

ndjamena wrote:You're ripping the wrong title.

Disney has various 'cuts' of a movie on their Blu Ray discs.

One for English, one Spanish and I think one French. All the m2ts files showing "signs" and such are replaced with m2ts files of the respective language the rest of the time the m2ts files are shared.

The English audio is in each of the titles and since you've set MakeMKV to only copy the English audio that's what it's ripping.
I am not very savvy with the technical stuff in regard to this ripping stuff. What is m2ts and how do I know which "cut" has what I want? Normally when I select a cut I only check the boxes for English audio, I don't even check the boxes for subtitles. I unselect all and only select HD Master auido, Dolby etc.....
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

For just about ANY Disney release, the "800" title (both on DVD and Bluray) is English titles/signs/credits. I can't remember if Spanish is always 801 and French always 802 or the other way around, but it's something like that.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
justjake

Post by justjake »

Woodstock wrote:For just about ANY Disney release, the "800" title (both on DVD and Bluray) is English titles/signs/credits. I can't remember if Spanish is always 801 and French always 802 or the other way around, but it's something like that.
Excuse my ignorance, what do you mean by 800? All the titles look exactly the same.....I clicked on all of them and I do not see 800 anywhere :?:
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

When you click on a title in the left menu, the box on the right side gives you information about the title, including the name of the play list. The information looks something like this:

Code: Select all

Title information
Source file name: 00800.mpls
Duration: 1:23:45
Chapters count: 23
Size: 32.5 GB
Segment count: 16
Segment map: 1-2,5,8 ....
File name: title23.mkv
On a Disney title, the English source file will end in 800.
justjake

Post by justjake »

Woodstock wrote:When you click on a title in the left menu, the box on the right side gives you information about the title, including the name of the play list. The information looks something like this:

Title information
So in your example above the 00800.mpls would be the file I look for? I noticed that box and glanced at it while clicking on different files, I will try again and see if it changes.
justjake

Post by justjake »

Woodstock wrote:When you click on a title in the left menu, the box on the right side gives you information about the title, including the name of the play list. The information looks something like this:

Title information
I went and checked and I see what you mean. Funny thing is, I clicked on all the titles and none ended in 800?? There is a 00082, 00106, 00109, 00081, 00115, 00116, 00083, 00118, and 00119.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I don't have Frozen in my collection, so I can't check that particular disk, but all of my previous Disney titles used 800, 801, and 802 for the feature file names, with 800 being the English.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Woodstock is correct in general for Disney movies.

While there is usually one or two main versions of a movie, different versions is often a problem, there are different versions for rentals, and different regions have different versions too, the Canada/US difference is particularly annoying for me in Canada as less Canadians seem to post in this forum. There can also be different versions for re-releases or various versions upon initial release such as retailer versions or standalone vs multi-disc versions.

I happened to get a copy of WALL-E today - I believe you were wondering about both Frozen and WALL-E - and it's from DMR distribution center in Canada but it appears to be a US copy. The case lists specs for what will be on the disc depending on whether that copy is a US or Canadian copy - that way, they only had to print one trapsheet for both US and Canada - and my disc matches the US spec - the disc has English only, no Spanish or French.

This is the particular release I have: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/WALL-E-Blu-ray/22777/

In this case there are still 4 playlists that look to be the feature film, and I'm still working them out, but they aren't based on the usual Disney signs in different languages thing - they appear to be related to the disc's "Geek Track" feature.

So when you run across a problem like this... it really helps to know exactly which release you have.

EDIT: On the release I've linked to above, these are the 2 main playlists:

00081.mpls
Segments 71, 20000
1:38:11
Full feature movie including the opening Disney/Pixar logos, 5.1 audio and subtitle track.

00089.mpls
Segment 20000
1:37:25
NO opening logos, jumps straight into the movie, but includes + 2 commentary tracks, 1 of those having subtitles and a second subtitle track that contains concept art.

Rather annoying the way they've structured it, really. Would have preferred a playlist that includes the opening logos segment but also all of the commentary and subtitle tracks. I suppose it's possible that such a playlist exists but that MakeMKV is deciding it's a duplicate.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
entryoversteer

Post by entryoversteer »

Does Wall E have any forced subtitles that need to be handled?