Need help deciding on new blu ray drive

Everything related to MakeMKV
outwar6010

Need help deciding on new blu ray drive

Post by outwar6010 »

I currently own the Pioneer BDR-207EBK but it's not working as well as before; I have to press the button to open the tray many times etc. I want to get a new one that will last a long time with as much disc support as possible. Can I get some recommendations on something more reliable than what I had previously?
trumpet205

Re: Need help deciding on new blu ray drive

Post by trumpet205 »

You can use software like NirCmd to eject and close disc tray without pressing the eject button. No need to replace a drive because of a faulty button.

Might be a good idea to add close disc tray function into MakeMKV. It only has eject function.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MOST drives will interpret a push on the tray as a close request, so it's just the open function (which MakeMKV has a button for) that should be needed.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
brellyn

Post by brellyn »

To answer your question, you're already using one of the most reliable drives on the market. I have two of them and I've had no issues at all.
outwar6010

Post by outwar6010 »

brellyn wrote:To answer your question, you're already using one of the most reliable drives on the market. I have two of them and I've had no issues at all.
I've started to think could the opening issue be due to the windows power profile thing? Also I've had major issues trying to rip the covenant on blu ray. I've tried two different copies so far.
brellyn

Post by brellyn »

How does the drive respond in safe mode? That's a good start to determine if it's hardware or software.

In my experience, that drive is a bit finicky when it comes to dirty disks. Even fingerprints seem to piss it off a bit.

Time to clean the disk...

A dab of Dawn dishwater detergent and a paper towel. Wet the disk and dampen the towel and rub vigorously in a circular motion. Build up a lather. If you bend the disk a little, you're at the correct pressure. about 3 minutes (or until my hand gets tired) is about right. toss the paper towel and rip off a clean one and dry the disk front and back. Then use eyeglass cleaner (the kind for prescription lenses), one or two squirts and a microfibre or lint-free cloth and soft pressure to buff the surface a bit. Keep your fingers and anything else from touching the surface in this step. Once dry, rerip and see what happens. Not perfect, but more successful (roughly 70%) than any other process I've tried.

Good Luck!
outwar6010

Post by outwar6010 »

The disc looked flawless. I ended up trying any dvd and it created a complete rip and then I used makemkv to create the mkv with the right audio tracks etc. The error message and trouble shoot on the makemkv page http://www.makemkv.com/errors/read/ was a lie there must be some encryptions or something that doesn't work with makemkv.
brellyn

Post by brellyn »

outwar6010 wrote:Also I've had major issues trying to rip the covenant on blu ray. I've tried two different copies so far.
If that's "The Covenant" from 2006, I just added it to Netflix to see how my drives deal with it. I'll let you know what happens.

I have a ripping batch file that opens the drive door for me once a rip is complete. He's the line from that batch file...

Code: Select all

powershell (New-Object -com "WMPlayer.OCX.7").cdromcollection.item(0).eject()
outwar6010

Post by outwar6010 »

brellyn wrote:
outwar6010 wrote:Also I've had major issues trying to rip the covenant on blu ray. I've tried two different copies so far.
If that's "The Covenant" from 2006, I just added it to Netflix to see how my drives deal with it. I'll let you know what happens.

I have a ripping batch file that opens the drive door for me once a rip is complete. He's the line from that batch file...

Code: Select all

powershell (New-Object -com "WMPlayer.OCX.7").cdromcollection.item(0).eject()

What to you mean added to netflix? Also once the drive is in use it seems fine. However when I haven't used it in a while it seems like it needs quite a few presses to wake up the motor maybe?
brellyn

Post by brellyn »

outwar6010 wrote:What to you mean added to Netflix? Also once the drive is in use it seems fine. However when I haven't used it in a while it seems like it needs quite a few presses to wake up the motor maybe?
I have a subscription to Netflix and they send me disks of movies I want. I added "The Covenant" to my list of requested movies and they shipped it today (5/5). The Estimated arrival is 5/8 so it should be in my mailbox Monday.

If the drive button begins working after several attempts, it's probably just a dirty connection internally. You can use windows eject to open the drive or the powershell code I pasted. Either one should work just fine. A small inconvenience, but not worth replacing the drive over in my opinion.
brellyn

Post by brellyn »

The Covenant showed up early and I ripped it today with no issues on either drive.