The BIG backup button

Everything related to MakeMKV
∫xdxdy

The BIG backup button

Post by ∫xdxdy »

I tried makemkv with my new setup to deal with UHD bluray. I saw the backup button (whick inside the menu) on grey for quite a while. After some trying and google, I just noticed that if I want to backup, I should press the BIG button in the very first, don't need to choose OPEN DISC in menu. Once I opened the disk, the backup button inside menu greyed out.

Well, maybe I should read manual carefully before using.........
rivey

Re: The BIG backup button

Post by rivey »

∫xdxdy wrote:I tried makemkv with my new setup to deal with UHD bluray. I saw the backup button (whick inside the menu) on grey for quite a while. After some trying and google, I just noticed that if I want to backup, I should press the BIG button in the very first, don't need to choose OPEN DISC in menu. Once I opened the disk, the backup button inside menu greyed out.

Well, maybe I should read manual carefully before using.........
I have read everything I can find about making a backup of a DVD. Maybe some more detailed instructions might help. TIA
preserve

Post by preserve »

MakeMKV does not make backups of DVD discs, since there are other tools out there for doing this.

Since MakeMKV does make "backups" of Blu-ray and UHD, it would be nice if it handled DVD as well, it would just add to making MakeMKV the all-in-one solution.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
rivey

Post by rivey »

preserve wrote:MakeMKV does not make backups of DVD discs, since there are other tools out there for doing this.

Since MakeMKV does make "backups" of Blu-ray and UHD, it would be nice if it handled DVD as well, it would just add to making MakeMKV the all-in-one solution.
Since that is the case, can you recommend a program to backup DVD movies? Thanks
paulster

Post by paulster »

I like AnyDVD for backups of all my disks to ISO format. I really with MakeMKV would offer this as an option though, so I could use a single product for everything.
rivey

Post by rivey »

paulster wrote:I like AnyDVD for backups of all my disks to ISO format. I really with MakeMKV would offer this as an option though, so I could use a single product for everything.
Thanks for the info. And I do agree that MakeMKV should also have this option.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Yes, I would much prefer to say "MakeMKV does it, buy a registration!" instead of sending people to RedFox.

I don't use their products but if I visited their site without someone I trust telling me they're okay, they look like all those generic crap software products. Especially because they parcel out every feature into a separate program.

Any other recommendations, specifically for making ISOs? I probably eventually want a reliable program for creating and reading ISOs of DVDs, Blu-rays and UHDs.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
yorgo

Post by yorgo »

preserve wrote:I don't use their products but if I visited their site without someone I trust telling me they're okay, they look like all those generic crap software products. Especially because they parcel out every feature into a separate program.
Though RedFox does offer numerous products, their core one is AnyDVD. Most of the rest are through partnerships with other developers.

One additional correction; though they may look like other "generic crap software", they are anything but. AnyDVD has been around for many years as the "industry standard" for de-encryption, and their playlist obfuscation detection works consistently (at least it has for me).