Can't see optical drives /cdrom grayed out

Everything related to MakeMKV
Sourhead85

Can't see optical drives /cdrom grayed out

Post by Sourhead85 »

Hi,

I have been a MakeMKV user for close to a year maybe now, ripping dvd and Bluray movies and tv series with no issues until just a few days ago and now it tells me it cant see the optical drives. I have a dvd and bluray drive both. I have used both many times. I have version 1.10.10 x64 on and it just all of a sudden didnt want to work anymore. I updated to 1.12.2 and still nothing, and even tried to go back to version that worked. Nothing.

I do not know how to debug or fix the problem myself, this is the code I get:
DEBUG: Code 3221225506 at O&lE"h]~9Ky~l{TX:29403613

Any help would be great since I bought this software, wishing support would acknowledge that they got my issue and give a response. I love it (when it worked)

I have used AnyDVD and it worked in the copying process, my drives are in windows and seen.

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: Can't see optical drives /cdrom grayed out

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV asks the operating system to enumerate optical drives - if it says "none", that's what MakeMKV has to work with.

If you're using the Linux version of MakeMKV, some versions of Linux do not respond quite how the later versions of MakeMKV want it to; there is a topic about this in the Linux section of the board, with how to get Ubuntu (amongst others) to respond "properly".

In the case of Windows (and maybe MacOS, I don't have it so cannot say), there are times when Windows loses track of a particular device. Even though it is there and operating, some features of it that define it as an "optical drive" might not be acknowledge by Windows, so it says "nothing available" when asked.

In almost all cases that this has happened to me, the hardware needs to be "reset", and a reset may or may not happen if you just reboot the computer. For internal hardware, doing a complete shutdown/power off OR using the hardware Reset button (if you have one) was required. Most external USB hardware only needs to be unplugged, then replugged, so long as it's not the USB controller that is the problem.

So, have you powered down your computer recently?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Sourhead85

Post by Sourhead85 »

I have windows OS 10 and yes, I have shut down my system multiple times. even have it running as admin.

I will shut down and unpulg and replug hardware just for extra measures. Like I had mentioned it was working one day and then not the next, which seemed odd. By "reset" what do you mean exactly? disconnecting wires to motherboard and drive?

I read something about fixing it in the bios, but that didnt make sense with my bios, all looked normal and hardware is running SATA cable.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

In the dark ages of computers, we had a "reset" button that told everything in the computer, "Act like you were just powered up, and initialize yourself." A lot of manufacturers THINK their systems are reliable enough to not need one now. Most of them are wrong about that, and the rest are delusional. :)

If you don't have a reset button, the replacement is powered down (not sleeping or hibernating), then restarting. This is the only time the hardware is in a "known state", and the operating system has to go around looking at the installed hardware.

The important thing is whether or not Windows thinks the drive is an optical disk. If it doesn't, it will not tell MakeMKV about it. A test is to try to open the drive in Explorer (with no disk inserted); it SHOULD pop the door open and ask you to insert a disk.
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

Since I'm having the same problem with this on Win10 both Home and Pro, I'll just add my 2p worth.

Up until a few weeks back Makemkv was working just fine, so perhaps something in a Win 10 update has changed how Optical Drives are handled. Even so all other programs I have - DVDShrink, DVDFab, Handbrake etc. don't have this problem and identify the drive correctly.

In respect of seeing the drive in Explorer. The drive does not appear until you have a disk inserted and run up. Likewise if you look in Disk Management the Optical Drive does not appear until a disk is inserted and run up. From this point on the drive is identified to Windows, at least, as an Optical Drive.

It's strange that if this was a widespread problem with Win10, then you'd expect more people to be complaining about it. The latest update as of today still exhibits the problem.

Thanks
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If Win10 is hiding the drive until a disk is inserted, then having one inserted before MakeMKV starts would "fix" it, at least for the first disk. But, I haven't seen anyone report THAT behavior recently.
Sourhead85

Post by Sourhead85 »

Gaspode wrote:Since I'm having the same problem with this on Win10 both Home and Pro, I'll just add my 2p worth.

Up until a few weeks back Makemkv was working just fine, so perhaps something in a Win 10 update has changed how Optical Drives are handled. Even so all other programs I have - DVDShrink, DVDFab, Handbrake etc. don't have this problem and identify the drive correctly.

In respect of seeing the drive in Explorer. The drive does not appear until you have a disk inserted and run up. Likewise if you look in Disk Management the Optical Drive does not appear until a disk is inserted and run up. From this point on the drive is identified to Windows, at least, as an Optical Drive.

It's strange that if this was a widespread problem with Win10, then you'd expect more people to be complaining about it. The latest update as of today still exhibits the problem.

Thanks
That explains it, fucking Windows......

I had tried shutting down PC completely even unplugging from wall for several hours and came back, no fix.

Since it seems to be windows and hoping Makemkv makes version that fixes that or I'd like my money back...

Cheers
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

Woodstock wrote:If Win10 is hiding the drive until a disk is inserted, then having one inserted before MakeMKV starts would "fix" it, at least for the first disk. But, I haven't seen anyone report THAT behavior recently.
Yes, I'd already tried that and it made no difference to the problem. FWIW: I've just been updated to build 1803 of Win 10 and the problem still persists.
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

FYI:

I have an old PC which has recently been cleared and Win 10 installed at build 1709. There are no other programs installed other than what comes with Win10. I've just installed Makemkv and it works fine.

But another old laptop with Win 10 pro and a few other programs installed does not work, ditto my workstation

However, on the PCs that Makemkv does not work automatically, you can open a DVD manually and rip the relevant title

Some sort of interoperability problem perhaps.
Sourhead85

Post by Sourhead85 »

as of 5-11-18 Windows 10 did a new update and now I reinstalled makemkv and it works like nothing ever happened... Fucking windows
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

Lucky you.....

Mine is still not working. Have you any details of the last update that Win 10 did?
maonstad

Post by maonstad »

I had a similar problem like that. No drive present. Load in imgburn and check the upper and lower filters. Remove them. (if its anydvd just remove it). Reboot computer. Check to see if the drive is present now. Re-install anydvd, This is suggestion and it worked for me. The filters were messed up on my computer.
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

Thanks for trying to help but this made no difference for me.
Sourhead85

Post by Sourhead85 »

No details on update. If you have a windows update and get reboot. But I had makemkv uninstalled when the update automatically happened.

I did get my .log file to support. Might get an updated version soon that could fix, fingers crossed for u.

Good luck.
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

Going from bad to worse. On my laptop, which is only a 'play' machine, I was having the same problem. It's Win 10 Pro and a couple of new updates got added a coupe of days back. Now the CD/DVD Drive is totally invisible to Windows as well. Before, all other programs could see it but not Makemkv. I'm just about to see what a clean install will do.

Don't you just love MS. If it ain't broke then it doesn't have enough features. :evil: