Hardware Player - Any Recommendations

Everything related to MakeMKV
michaelsft

Hardware Player - Any Recommendations

Post by michaelsft »

Hi all, apologies if this is in the wrong place, I think it's quite a general question. I back up all my BD's to portable hard drives but when I plug them into my BD Player or TV to watch there is almost always no sound - I guess it's a limitation of the BD Player or TV that the audio codecs are not supported via USB.

Currently I use Plex but my internet is very bad and often struggles to play these. Does anyone know any hardware that I could hook directly up to the TV with a USB input that has good audio compatibility?

Thanks for reading!
Michael
d00zah

Re: Hardware Player - Any Recommendations

Post by d00zah »

It might be a good idea to examine your current media to identify which codecs, specifically, your current players have an issue with. MediaInfo is a handy tool for this.

Once you know what codecs you require support for, you can now rule out player candidates without that support.
michaelsft

Post by michaelsft »

DTS Master Audio seems the main culprit!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There are a lot of hardware players out there, as you have seen. The ones I'd recommend (if they weren't discontinued and didn't die after a year or so) are the KDlinks 700 and 720. I'm trying some Android-based units; the KDlinks A300 had good capabilities but suffers from the fact that the different media players had different restrictions... Kode has a horrid user interface and didn't like certain types of subtitles, while the Android media player didn't like DIFFERENT kinds of subtitles.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
TheTerrorBeyond

Post by TheTerrorBeyond »

I have multiple NVIDIA Shield units and they work wonderfully.
Media Server: i7-6800k (6-core processor), 32GB RAM, MSI Carbon Pro board, SAS RAID, liquid cooling, NVIDIA 1080SC, (6) 10TB Barracuda Pro, (4)8TB Barracuda Pro, (1) 6TB Barracuda, (1) 4TB Barracuda, (1) Toshiba 512GB SSD, (1) Intel 256GB Intel M.2 SSD.