Does MakeMKV permanently remove protection on Blu Rays?

Everything related to MakeMKV
chococookie891

Does MakeMKV permanently remove protection on Blu Rays?

Post by chococookie891 »

I understand MakeMKV decrypts blu ray files. Does MakeMKV alter the contents on the physical disc itself in any way? Once MakeMKV rips the contents of the disc, is the protection/DRM on the disc permanently removed?
st4evr

Re: Does MakeMKV permanently remove protection on Blu Rays?

Post by st4evr »

No decryption/ripping software works like that. This includes MakeMKV. You are misunderstanding how decrytion of BDs work in this sense then.

The short version. No. The media on the ORIGINAL RETAIL movie disc is static and the physical disc itself remains unmodified. Movie studios use physical discs that are recordable. NOT rewritable. All protections will remain on the disc for as long as the disc exists. Whether you use MakeMKV or other ripping software on the market.

The long version? Google.
chococookie891

Post by chococookie891 »

st4evr wrote:No decryption/ripping software works like that. This includes MakeMKV. You are misunderstanding how decrytion of BDs work in this sense then.

The short version. No. The media on the ORIGINAL RETAIL movie disc is static and the physical disc itself remains unmodified. Movie studios use physical discs that are recordable. NOT rewritable. All protections will remain on the disc for as long as the disc exists. Whether you use MakeMKV or other ripping software on the market.

The long version? Google.
Thanks for the explanation! Yeah, I don't really understand it. I did some googling and it's kind of going over my head. So ripping software generate a key to decrypt the Blu Ray that allows them to rip/copy the contents, but it leaves the actual container, or protection, intact? If MakeMKV is run on the same copy of a disc more than once, will it have to decrypt the the BD each time because the DRM is still intact?
drathbun

Post by drathbun »

chococookie891 wrote:If MakeMKV is run on the same copy of a disc more than once, will it have to decrypt the the BD each time because the DRM is still intact?
It runs the same process each time, yes.
chococookie891

Post by chococookie891 »

drathbun wrote:
chococookie891 wrote:If MakeMKV is run on the same copy of a disc more than once, will it have to decrypt the the BD each time because the DRM is still intact?
It runs the same process each time, yes.
Thanks! I see, and BD players, such as a PS4, verify the DRM before running it?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Yes, there is a handshake that occurs between players and media for various purposes. Including varifying protection (if any).