Problem running Makemkv

Everything related to MakeMKV
Socketman

Problem running Makemkv

Post by Socketman »

Hi all, i am running windows 10 64 bit and i just installed Makemkv and when i run the program and put a disc in the BD drive i do not see a file structure of any sort ,all i see is a icon that looks like a disc drive
and if i click on it , it will backup the disc but i have no option to convert to an mkv. If i back up the disc and then try and open the backup nothing shows up anywhere in the backup folder except empty file folders but if i go to the backup folder in windows explorer all the usual files are there for the backup. what the heck am i missing here. The drive is an LG WH14NS40 if that helps.
Grauhaar

Re: Problem running Makemkv

Post by Grauhaar »

Very strange. If the disc is loaded and identified the name is display and clicking on the disc symbol opens the disc to checkout what should be saved to mkv files. No idea why it starts (automaticaly?) the backup function. Make sure that this is Blu-ray or DVD!!!
If you open the backup later, MakeMKV as a File Selection list (look into the lower right corner of the File Exporer Window) and looks only for some few files (index.bdmv for Blu-ray, Video.ts for DVD etc.), so it's normal that no files are listet as long as you are not in the correct subfolder. MakeMKV needs always the "Top Level File" (the Metadata) to identify the contens of the complete disc.
Good Luck :)

Post by Woodstock »

Did you click on the Backup button, or the very large OPEN button, that looks like a disk, and "spins" when the disk is loading?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Socketman

Post by Socketman »

Grauhaar wrote:Very strange. If the disc is loaded and identified the name is display and clicking on the disc symbol opens the disc to checkout what should be saved to mkv files. No idea why it starts (automaticaly?) the backup function. Make sure that this is Blu-ray or DVD!!!
If you open the backup later, MakeMKV as a File Selection list (look into the lower right corner of the File Exporer Window) and looks only for some few files (index.bdmv for Blu-ray, Video.ts for DVD etc.), so it's normal that no files are listet as long as you are not in the correct subfolder. MakeMKV needs always the "Top Level File" (the Metadata) to identify the contens of the complete disc.

Thanks for the very helpfull non condescending reply . I think the biggest problem is that the online help is not current . I had opened index bdmv last nite but for some reason it did nothing. Today i opened the index.bdmv and it scanned the folders and opened the list and i was able to compress the movie though i was not that happy with the results. Normally i use Handbrake or Divx converter and i use my own setting to arrive at a very decent quality to size ratio. The movie i was backing up would not get past the analyzing stage in either of my usual programs so i gave makemkv a try. I will say it is very fast at what it does ,perhaps i will play with it a bit more before i pass judgement.

richarc
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Socketman wrote:and i was able to compress the movie though i was not that happy with the results.
MakeMKV is NOT an compression tool. It copies and decrypts the contens and stores it in mkv files.
Good Luck :)