"automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed" while decrypting

Everything related to MakeMKV
ikomrad

"automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed" while decrypting

Post by ikomrad »

After I inserted the John Wick (2014) blu-ray and click on the disk icon to decrypt it, so saw this error in the output / log section -

"automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed"

However , makemkv continued to process the disc, listed the titles, and even highlighted the probably main title as "FPL_MAINFEATURE".

I checked "Preferences->General" and downloading updates from the web server is enabled. What is the web server hostname? I have pi-hole and pfBlockerNG running to filter DNS requests. I can check their logs to see if they blocked it. I found requests for makemkv.com which were allowed, so we are good for that domain :)

Is it a serious problem that I should look at fixing? I don't know what SDF is so some context would be helpful.

Software info:
MakeMKV: 1.12.3
Java: 1.8.101

Moderator edit:
Closing this topic because it has a shorter replacement. For detailed help on this, please read the Fixing Volume Key thread.
mike admin

Re: "automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed" while decrypting

Post by mike admin »

ikomrad wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:28 am
What is the web server hostname? I have pi-hole and pfBlockerNG running to filter DNS requests.
Is there any way to white-list entire MakeMKV? I short, it can use any DNS address and it can change at any time.
ikomrad wrote:
Is it a serious problem that I should look at fixing? I don't know what SDF is so some context would be helpful.
It is still a little secret, but having this file is good for you. You can always download SDF.bin manually from https://www.makemkv.com/svq/sdf.bin and put it into MakeMKV data directory. On next launch MakeMKV will consume the file and shut up.
ikomrad

Post by ikomrad »

mike admin wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:58 pm
ikomrad wrote:
What is the web server hostname? I have pi-hole and pfBlockerNG running to filter DNS requests.
Is there any way to white-list entire MakeMKV? I short, it can use any DNS address and it can change at any time.
ikomrad wrote:
It is still a little secret, but having this file is good for you. You can always download SDF.bin manually from https://www.makemkv.com/svq/sdf.bin and put it into MakeMKV data directory. On next launch MakeMKV will consume the file and shut up.
You can whitelist top level domain, subdomain. So if Makemkv buys a new domain and switches to it, you'll need to update the whitelist on pi-hole. Domains cost money to register and renew, so I wouldn't think MakeMkv would change domains often.
~HaMMeR~

Post by ~HaMMeR~ »

mike admin wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:58 pm
ikomrad wrote:
ikomrad wrote:
I've tried the sdf.bin file but it doesn't work for me. The file is deleted once MakeMKV starts, but discs that are recognised when MakeMKV is connected to the Internet are not recognised when offline. I can't think what I'm doing wrong as it couldn't be any simpler?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The sdf.bin file is actually "moved" into a file in your MakeMKV data directory, called _private_data.tar, and read from there. This file keeps all of what MakeMKV downloads for operation, so it (usually) isn't overwritten by other programs.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
~HaMMeR~

Post by ~HaMMeR~ »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:10 pm
The sdf.bin file is actually "moved" into a file in your MakeMKV data directory, called _private_data.tar, and read from there. This file keeps all of what MakeMKV downloads for operation, so it (usually) isn't overwritten by other programs.
_private_data.tar hasn't been modified since the 31st of July, so it hasn't been updated with the sdf.bin file today. I've moved the file away, copied sdf.bin back and started MakeMKV and _private_data.tar has recreated, but it still doesn't contain the key for a disc I know has been added.

To clarify, the PC is not connected to the Internet, which is why I'm trying to manually import the keys from the sdf.bin file. Perhaps I have misunderstood the point of it?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

This topic has gotten so old, are you talking about the John Wick 2 disk failing (what started the topic), or a different disk?

JW2 is a long-ago solved issue, but it is possible the disk you're having an issue with is "too new".

In your MakeMKV data directory, there will be a file created for any "unknown key" disks, that starts with "MKB". What is the name of the file created for this disk?
~HaMMeR~

Post by ~HaMMeR~ »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:25 pm
This topic has gotten so old, are you talking about the John Wick 2 disk failing (what started the topic), or a different disk?

JW2 is a long-ago solved issue, but it is possible the disk you're having an issue with is "too new".

In your MakeMKV data directory, there will be a file created for any "unknown key" disks, that starts with "MKB". What is the name of the file created for this disk?
Sorry it's different discs... or more accurately every disc released since the 19th of March 2019 (when the last hashed key file was uploaded).

So at the moment I have a two step ripping process. Backup the disc on the air gapped PC, then transfer the folder over to a laptop that has Internet connectivity (but no UHD drive) and rip on that. As the laptop can access the MakeMKV server it downloads the key and rips fine.

It's not the worst thing to have to do, but obviously increases the ripping time quite a bit.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Why not periodically sneaker-net '_private_data.tar' (or 'sdf.bin') from the laptop to the air-gapped machine? Smaller than moving around movie backups.
~HaMMeR~

Post by ~HaMMeR~ »

d00zah wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:21 pm
Why not periodically sneaker-net '_private_data.tar' (or 'sdf.bin') from the laptop to the air-gapped machine? Smaller than moving around movie backups.
Copying sdf.bin isn't working, hence posting
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Ah. Curious. Guilty of one of my peeves... jumping straight to the end. Sorry.
watts

Post by watts »

Any solution for this? I'm having the same exact issue.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Depends on the cause.

Is "Contact web server for updates" checked in your preferences?

Is your firewall allowing MakeMKV to make contact with https://makemkv.com/ ? Just because your browser can access it, doesn't mean MakeMKV is being allowed.

Is your antivirus program blocking it?

Can your browser access https://www.makemkv.com/svq/sdf.bin to download the file?
piegoodman

Post by piegoodman »

Having this exact same issue with MakeMKV failing to download the latest keys. Looks like it's trying to connect to hkdatastore.tk (which doesn't resolve to an IP).

Also verified I can download https://www.makemkv.com/svq/sdf.bin without issues. Any ideas on how to manually package it inside the _private_data.tar? Simply copying it over doesn't seem to work.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Drop the file in the MakeMKV data directory, and the next time MakeMKV starts, it will automagically be moved to the tarball.