"automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed" while decrypting

Everything related to MakeMKV
SamuriHL

Re: "automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed" while decrypting

Post by SamuriHL »

No, we're not "all" screwed. Some DNS servers for whatever reason still aren't resolving it but there's advice in this thread, even the post directly above yours, that shows how to get around that.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

I still don't resolve the referenced domain using 'nslookup', but I DID observe MakeMKV report successfully downloading the latest SDF the other day. Read into that what you may...
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Wizards! :D
ionblue

Post by ionblue »

So....... seriously, when is this going to have a proper fix? I have to change DNS servers back and forth every time I want to rip something. I need my local routers DNS working cause I have it doing some local DNS stuff. If I put my router first in the list than MakeMKV fails. If I put it last in the list then local DNS fails. :(
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

ionblue wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:44 pm
So....... seriously, when is this going to have a proper fix? I have to change DNS servers back and forth every time I want to rip something. I need my local routers DNS working cause I have it doing some local DNS stuff. If I put my router first in the list than MakeMKV fails. If I put it last in the list then local DNS fails. :(
the dns server you use is trash not makemkvs problem i have my router use cloudflare dns and the day of the fix mine was working again no changing dns needed
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
ionblue

Post by ionblue »

Billycar11 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:00 pm
ionblue wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:44 pm
the dns server you use is trash not makemkvs problem i have my router use cloudflare dns and the day of the fix mine was working again no changing dns needed
Dude. My internet provider (Spectrum) has fine DNS. Why the hell would I, or anyone else for that matter, need to use a 3rd party DNS service? Trying to hide something?

And if MakeMKV has to use a specific single server that for whatever reason drops off some normal DNS servers, then yes, MakeMKV is at fault. There should at least be a fallback or something.

And furthermore, I'm not the only person that has this issue!
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

ionblue wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:08 pm

Dude. My internet provider (Spectrum) has fine DNS. Why the hell would I, or anyone else for that matter, need to use a 3rd party DNS service? Trying to hide something?

And if MakeMKV has to use a specific single server that for whatever reason drops off some normal DNS servers, then yes, MakeMKV is at fault. There should at least be a fallback or something.
isp dns servers are trash im not hiding anything the reason is use them is for speed they are faster cloudflare is one of the faster dns providers google too
and what local dns stuff are you possibly doing all stuff within your own house should be all static ip based no host names to resolve.
just change the dns in your probably junky isp router to a good dns provider.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
ionblue

Post by ionblue »

Billycar11 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:15 pm
ionblue wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:08 pm

isp dns servers are trash im not hiding anything the reason is use them is for speed they are faster cloudflare is one of the faster dns providers google too
and what local dns stuff are you possibly doing all stuff within your own house should be all static ip based no host names to resolve.
just change the dns in your probably junky isp router to a good dns provider.
I do web development so it's much easier to have name resolution to all the myriad sites I work on. Anyway, I tried Cloudflare or am trying Cloudflare and it doesn't seem much faster than the ISPs. I pushed it out to the router instead of changing DNS locally so now all my internal stuff works as well as external. Using Google as backup. We'll see how it fares.
theirongiant

Post by theirongiant »

I have Little Snitch installed on my Mac, which allows for monitoring, filtering, and capturing connections from any app on the system.

When opening a disc, MakeMKV tries to connect to http://hkdtst17.twilightparadox.com/

That server currently resolves to 127.0.0.54. If that address looks wrong to you, that's because it is. The 127.0.0.* range is reserved for loopback connections and isn't supposed to be published to the Internet at all.

Someone screwed up the DNS records for the website itself.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That may be what your DNS server resolves it to, but, not the one I use.
KiltedShane

Post by KiltedShane »

I was having the problem. It turned out it was OpenDNS web filtering. It is categorized at anonymizer/proxy
I changed to Cloud Flair on my PC and problem solved
video_newb

Post by video_newb »

Hello all,

I've read through this entire thread and while it mostly makes sense, the root cause doesn't seem to be mine (but same symptom).

I can download the sdf.bin and put in the data dir, but it doesn't solve it.
I can get to every http link listed.
I can resolve hkdatastore.tk (23.195.69.106) and reverse lookup also resolves (deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com).
I've added exceptions in AVG for every site listed in this thread.
I've even turned off AVG completely.

I'm at a bit of a loss on this even though it seems that everything is back to working for some. I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks.
theirongiant

Post by theirongiant »

Changing my computer's DNS to CloudFlare did not solve the problem.

If this *is* working for you, can you please run

Code: Select all

nslookup hkdatastore.tk
and post the results?

Here's mine:

nslookup hkdatastore.tk:

Code: Select all

studio$ nslookup hkdatastore.tk
Server:		1.1.1.1
Address:	1.1.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	hkdatastore.tk