Pause / Glitch in some rips

Everything related to MakeMKV
c1823a

Pause / Glitch in some rips

Post by c1823a »

Maybe this has been answered and I just couldn't find it but here goes; I've had (3) Blu-rays that end up with pauses and/or glitches sometime during the movie. I believe the pause or glitch only happens once during movie playback but it is enough to stop Handbrake from encoding wherever the glitch is located in the movie. To clarify, I just ripped (backed up my purchased copy) "Life of the Party" Blu-ray; when I try to convert with Handbrake, Handbrake finishes the job at around 38 minutes into the movie. If I play the MakeMKV rip directly with VLC, there is a glitch that happens at around 38 minutes but VLC will continue to play the MKV file. Is there a setting I am missing or has anyone experienced this and found a solution. It does not seem to be from one particular movie label such as Lionsgate; I though it was at first since the first two that did this were Lionsgate movies but the third is not.
Kettykrueger

Re: Pause / Glitch in some rips

Post by Kettykrueger »

I've recently had this issue too, to the extent that when played on Plex on the Apple TV, the app pinwheeled, over and over. When I tried the same file on VLC, it crashed!

I'd love to know what the problem is.

In order to diagnose the problem, I've tried:
  • moving the file to a local drive as opposed to an external (via USB 3.0)
    run scans on all my hard drives - they are clean
    rebooted server and Apple TV
    re-ripped the disc with a full back-up, the individual titles from that, which helped and stopped it glitching in the same place but glitched at other point
I can accept that I have some bad rips but I thought MakeMKV didn't allow bad data? Is there anything that can be done to ensure a perfect rip?
c1823a

Re: Pause / Glitch in some rips

Post by c1823a »

In my particular case, I changed the "DVD structure protection removal method" setting in Make MKV from "Auto" to "CellWalk" and ended up with a good rip this time. It was just trial and error for me, not sure why it worked exactly......
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (57.62 KiB) Viewed 5387 times