Save selected tracks to one .mkv + generate chapters

Everything related to MakeMKV
dma_k

Save selected tracks to one .mkv + generate chapters

Post by dma_k »

Dear MakeMKV team,

I have a DVD which MakeMKV recognizes as DVD with several independent chapters. However I would like to save them into one MKV file + have chapters automatically generated. How can I go this? Several forum threads (one, two, three) suggest to use MKV tools to do this, which I use at the moment. However then I would need to create chapters file by hand. Can MakeMKV save all selected tracks to one MKV so one can skip manual "append" step? Can MakeMKV also generate chapters file automatically?

Thanks!
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (65.74 KiB) Viewed 13818 times
d00zah

Re: Save selected tracks to one .mkv + generate chapters

Post by d00zah »

Create the individual .mkvs with 'MakeMKV' & use 'mkvtoolnix' to join them into a single file.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Although that will not create a chapter file to go with it.

I believe the chapter editor in mkvmerge will allow you to create one, but I haven't tried that.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dma_k

Post by dma_k »

@d00zah: I am pretty OK to use mkvtoolnix-gui.exe to append MKVs. However chapter generation does not happen magically. The GUI has chapter editor, but (as far as I know) it allows only manual creation/editing.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

dma_k wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:14 pm
@d00zah: I am pretty OK to use mkvtoolnix-gui.exe to append MKVs. However chapter generation does not happen magically. The GUI has chapter editor, but (as far as I know) it allows only manual creation/editing.
I haven't done this recently, so was thinking each .mkv would have a single chapter mark that would carry through the concatenation... but it seems that isn't the case. That said, if it were my project, I might use the chapter editor to add a chapter mark at the beginning/end of the 1st part, at the end of each subsequent part & then join the parts. Seems easier (more precise?) than adding chapters post-join? Unsure how else accomplish the chapters otherwise. YMMV
mreedelp2

Post by mreedelp2 »

Use MKVToolNix GUI. Add the files to be appended together, but before creating the new file, select the Output tab. On the right side near the bottom there is selection for Generating Chapters. Click on it and choose "One chapter for each appended file". Then rip.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

mreedelp2 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:01 pm
Use MKVToolNix GUI. Add the files to be appended together, but before creating the new file, select the Output tab. On the right side near the bottom there is selection for Generating Chapters. Click on it and choose "One chapter for each appended file". Then rip.
Wonderful! MUCH better. Thx! Adding this to my notes.
dma_k

Post by dma_k »

mreedelp2 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:01 pm
Fantastic! Thanks for the tip!
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

If your source is DVD then you actually can do it from MakeMKV using http://www.makemkv.com/manualdvd/ . But mkvtoolnix is probably an easier choice.