Makemkv rips shows as mpg on my tv?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Duckers

Makemkv rips shows as mpg on my tv?

Post by Duckers »

Hello, i wanted to fire up a movie on my tv through plex, but the tv can't play them because of unknown errors and the file extension it shows the movies as is .mpg? why is that? On my movie disk, they show as mkv?
d00zah

Re: Makemkv rips shows as mpg on my tv?

Post by d00zah »

.mkv is just a container. Both the video & audio stream encodings within the container must be supported by the TV. Consult the manual for supported encoding formats... the video stream in this case is likely mpeg2. In some cases, you MAY need re-encode with a tool like HandBrake (or VidCoder... my preference) to get something your TV will play.
Duckers

Re: Makemkv rips shows as mpg on my tv?

Post by Duckers »

d00zah wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:03 pm
.mkv is just a container. Both the video & audio stream encodings within the container must be supported by the TV. Consult the manual for supported encoding formats... the video stream in this case is likely mpeg2. In some cases, you MAY need re-encode with a tool like HandBrake (or VidCoder... my preference) to get something your TV will play.
Yeah, i just started using handbrake and i started using the nightly to get NVENC which renders the video down from 50 min software H264 to half an hour ish with NVENC h265.

So i will have to re encode all of my movies as neither my tv nor shield tv with mx player are able to play the raw rips and find a settings that keeps more or less everything original, just changes codecs and containers. The very raw rips will be used with my pc.

So i need to find the right settings for RAW rips for the tv and a setting for 10-20GB smaller rips for shield tv when not home.