M2TS or MKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
mickyp2810

M2TS or MKV

Post by mickyp2810 »

Hi all,

Sorry if this has come up in the past but I’m trying to ensure I’m future proofing myself.

My Video files are currently going on a Plex server

On some recent rips I have taken the main M2ts file from a decrypted backup as I thought that would guarantee 100% AV quality however I’ve noticed that in some cases the intro of films may have a seperate M2ts file to the rest of the film in which case I’ve outfitted an MKV.

Both play perfectly in Plex but I’m also wondering whether keeping an M2ts file would be an advantage for maintaining a Dolby Vision track as I understand that’s not currently supported in MKV.

I’m aware of the size differences and also have noticed M2ts doesn’t have chapters or audio track names but I’m curious as to what would be recommended to keep as much data as possible. (especially HDR, Atmos etc. )

Thanks.
Grauhaar

Re: M2TS or MKV

Post by Grauhaar »

Movies are often separated into stream segments, each segment is a M2TS stream file. Trailer, Intro, Country specific titles, different movie versions (like Cinema or Director's cut) and so on. MakeMKV assembles all needed stream segments into one mkv file (done with the Playlist called MPLS). And you have no quality problem, all data are copied 1:1 into the mkv container. MKV supports all data types and mkv supports chapters, track names (self changeable with MkvToolNIx header editor). Saving M2TS is not the right way, use MKV and you are on the right side.
Good Luck :)

Post by mickyp2810 »

Thank you and will do!
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Grauhaar wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:28 am
MKV supports all data types
Except Dolby Vision.