Question About makemkv's subtitle flag setting....

Everything related to MakeMKV
hiyo3

Question About makemkv's subtitle flag setting....

Post by hiyo3 »

I have noticed that makemkv sets the subtitle default track flag to "yes" when it creates an MKV. This causes software players to play subtitles automatically ( VLC ,media player classic and XBMC player).I haven't tested this but I would assume that this also happens in hardware players as well. I would assume that subtitles should only come on only when told.

I have to manually run the output of makemkv through Mkvmerge and set the subtitle default track flag to "no" so that subutitles will not play by default. Is there an option in to to avoid this minor inconvenience.
mike admin

Re: Question About makemkv's subtitle flag setting....

Post by mike admin »

MakeMKV sets the "default" flag for a first subtitle stream. Turns out a lot of software would behave erratically if this flag is not set. Request noted.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I would also add that the forced flag should be set on forced subs, but, setting the default based on how it's set on the blu-ray or dvd would rock. Thanks!
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

I use mkvpropedit to get rid of the default subtitles.

mkvpropedit file.mkv --edit track:s1 --set flag-default=0

If you're using Mac or Linux (or if you've installed cygwin for Windows), you can do it on many files at once:

for file in *.mkv; do mkvpropedit "$file" --edit track:s1 --set flag-default=0; done

But I agree - it's annoying, and it shouldn't be necessary.
Jwd41190

Post by Jwd41190 »

I agree also with this that the subtitles should not come on automatically.
idontexist

Post by idontexist »

Mike - is there any around this? I noticed that there are several threads about it, and I am seeing it too. I want to be able to keep an English subtitle track, but not have it on by default. So far, the only way I've found to do it is to process the file after the fact with either mkvmerge or mkvpropedit (thanks trondmm for the sample command, that works much faster than having to write out the full file)

Even if it was not the default setting for MakeMKV, if there was just some sort of preference to set so that it would not default the first sub track to "yes".

Thanks! The product is pretty friggen sweet, and this is the only minor issue I seem to come across with it.
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

hiyo3 wrote: I have to manually run the output of makemkv through Mkvmerge and set the subtitle default track flag to "no" so that subutitles will not play by default. Is there an option in to to avoid this minor inconvenience.
Use mmg's (mkvMergeGUI) Header Editor (in mmg, click File > Header Editor, and drag the file into the window). You can change the flag there, without re-muxing. It takes only a few seconds.

Of course, it would be better if MakeMKV had the option, but I bet it will soon enough.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

mike admin wrote:MakeMKV sets the "default" flag for a first subtitle stream.
Mmh, when I open a file done with MakeMKV in MKVToolnix it says default flag "yes" instead of "default". And yes, these flags are confusing.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch