Circumvent Riplock by putting computer to sleep...?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Glenwing

Circumvent Riplock by putting computer to sleep...?

Post by Glenwing »

I just encountered something strange... Maybe it is commonly known, I don't know, but I didn't see any mention of it after a little Google searching, so I figured I'd post it here.

My laptop's Blu-ray drive (Matshita BD-MLT UJ260AF) is locked to 2.0X while ripping Blu-rays, and I've been using it at that speed for months. A few days ago I accidentally put my laptop to sleep while MakeMKV was in the middle of ripping. When I resumed, MakeMKV kept going without a problem, but to my surprise, the drive spun up all the way to around 5X and stayed there for the entire remainder of the rip (I looked it up and it's rated for 6X max, and since then I've seen it get up to about 5.6X).

No idea if this will work for other drives, but this behavior is repeatable every time for me. And if your OS is on an SSD, going to sleep and waking up only takes a few seconds.

I took a video of it as an example here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUYFMftnDuw

A few additional observations:

This process must be repeated every time a disc is loaded. After getting around riplock using sleep, you can cancel a MakeMKV rip with the "Stop" button, change title selections around or whatever, and restart the rip over, and the faster speed will be preserved. But riplock will be reinstated next time the drive/MakeMKV loads a new disc.

If I am ripping to an internal storage drive (SSD, not tested an HDD), then MakeMKV handles very gracefully after waking up, spitting only one error (logical unit is in the process of becoming ready), and will resume correctly after one retry, and all output titles will be saved with no failures, including the one that was in progress when you put the computer to sleep.

If I rip to a USB hard drive, MakeMKV is faster at "resuming" the rip than the OS is at enumerating the hard drive (not sure of my terminology here). MakeMKV will spit out a "OS error - An operation was attempted to a volume after it was dismounted" error or a "OS error - A device was specified which does not exist", and the title that was in progress when you went to sleep will fail and be skipped (though the remaining titles will proceed at the increased speed). However, this is only a minor setback, since once you resume from sleep you can cancel the rip and restart it from the beginning, and all titles will be saved successfully at full speed, since the faster speed is preserved until you insert a new disc, you can cancel and restart the same disc without losing it. If you do this right after you start the rip in the first place, there's really no time lost at all.

Again, I have no idea if this will work for anyone else. Just sharing a discovery :3 Don't know if this was already known, I tried Googling around a bit but didn't find any mention of it.