.MKV Chapter basics, metadata for description?

Everything related to MakeMKV
iamjcl

.MKV Chapter basics, metadata for description?

Post by iamjcl »

So I've made .MKVs of my old home video DVDs, and have manually added chapters to a few using MKVtoolnix, generating an .XML file in the process.

This works as expected (though cumbersome, as I have to watch the .MKV with VLC, write down the chapter start times, then enter them manually in the MKVtoolnix chapter tool. Easy, but time consuming).

So questions:
1) Is there a way to watch / scrub through the video and mark the chapter stops from there and click "make chapters", or "make chapter .xml" etc..., all from the same program?

2) Is there a way to store information about the .MKV file within the file (content, chapter descriptions, etc...)? Presumably they could be in the above .xml but it wasn't immediately obvious to me where it goes in.

3) Is there a way to embed an image (.jpg, etc...) into the metadata of the .MKV that common players (plex, kodi, etc...) can access?

It's great having only 1 file to replace an entire DVD structure of directories and files, but no brief descriptions of what is on the file, and no Menu makes it a bit more difficult to know what is on each file. Some way to gain some of this functionality back w/out going the ISO route is what I'm after.

Thanks for any direction!