Do I want the JPEG Attachment?

Everything related to MakeMKV
swampdaddy

Do I want the JPEG Attachment?

Post by swampdaddy »

When selecting the media elements to be saved such as certain audio and subtitle tracks there is always a type called "Attachment", name: cover.jpg where the pathname might be: /BDMV/META/DL/shl_MetaData_640x360.jpg. An example here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jo1nzrw8r8ls ... 4.png?dl=0

So, do what's the significance of checking this box or not?

Also, I normally select ALL audio and ALL subtitle tracks is there any real downside to this?

Thanks,

Robert
Woodstock

Re: Do I want the JPEG Attachment?

Post by Woodstock »

The attached image is used by some players as the icon for the file. If you browse your files as lists, it isn't that important. But if you use icons for browsing, using the attachment will be more consistent than letting the player choose what to display.

My normal work flow is to rip all audio/subtitle tracks, and sort them out after ripping. The players I use will play the "first" track found by default, and that is only correct about 50% of the time with anime. Since I'm going to be processing with handbrake to get the tracks in the right order (and compress the video better), the excess data won't be around for long, anyway.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
aan3kk

Re: Do I want the JPEG Attachment?

Post by aan3kk »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:55 pm
The attached image is used by some players as the icon for the file. If you browse your files as lists, it isn't that important. But if you use icons for browsing, using the attachment will be more consistent than letting the player choose what to display.

My normal work flow is to rip all audio/subtitle tracks, and sort them out after ripping. The players I use will play the "first" track found by default, and that is only correct about 50% of the time with anime. Since I'm going to be processing with handbrake to get the tracks in the right order (and compress the video better), the excess data won't be around for long, anyway.
My reply is completely off-topic but you can sort the audio tracks and subtitles already when extracting with MakeMKV. I use

Code: Select all

-sel:all,+sel:(deu|eng|und|nolang|single),-sel:(havemulti|core),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-30:deu,-20:eng,-1:(subtitle&forced)
to have german tracks before english tracks and these before any other tracks and forced tracks before non-forced ones.