ERROR - No optical drive found after 1.14.4

Everything related to MakeMKV
digitalfreaknyc

ERROR - No optical drive found after 1.14.4

Post by digitalfreaknyc »

I've tried this on both makemkv and dvddecrypter and i get the same error on both. They both worked perfectly until this latest update - "no optical drive found" or "no devices detected."

Am I the only one that's found this problem?
digitalfreaknyc

Re: ERROR - No optical drive found after 1.14.4

In the debug log...
Debug log started at Sun Jun 09 02:48:47 2019 , written by MakeMKV v1.14.4 win(x64-release)
Using 1048320KB for read cache.
001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.14.4 win(x64-release) started
001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 3221225488 at t]ZPmzQ^?:Tt{n)ISIe/:213130582
005042:0000 The program can't find any usable optical drives.
Application exited at Sun Jun 09 02:49:19 2019
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV should not affect DVD Decrypter...

An experiment to discover where the error originates.

Start with a full reset of the machine. Not just a "restart", but a power-down, then power up, reset. You can skip the "power-down" part if your machine has a real, hardware reset button on it, but the important part is that all the hardware gets reset.

After boot-up, load DVD Decrypter. Does it see the drive? This tests to make sure the operating system isn't being affected by MakeMKV.

If DVD Decrypter sees the drive and can use it, exit the program, and start MakeMKV. Does MakeMKV see the drive?

If either program says "no drive", repeat the full reset, and try the programs in the opposite order.

If they still say "no drive", something in the operating system is blocking programs from talking to the optical drives. Usually, this is a permissions problem.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
digitalfreaknyc

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:55 am
MakeMKV should not affect DVD Decrypter...

An experiment to discover where the error originates.

Start with a full reset of the machine. Not just a "restart", but a power-down, then power up, reset. You can skip the "power-down" part if your machine has a real, hardware reset button on it, but the important part is that all the hardware gets reset.

After boot-up, load DVD Decrypter. Does it see the drive? This tests to make sure the operating system isn't being affected by MakeMKV.

If DVD Decrypter sees the drive and can use it, exit the program, and start MakeMKV. Does MakeMKV see the drive?

If either program says "no drive", repeat the full reset, and try the programs in the opposite order.

If they still say "no drive", something in the operating system is blocking programs from talking to the optical drives. Usually, this is a permissions problem.
Well, I solved the problem by restoring the computer before I installed it. That was the only way to do it.

I tried restarting it and if I started the programs immediately, it would work. But, to your credit, it does seem like something is stopping the program from finding the optical drive. However, I have no idea what that could be because it's affecting both programs.

But, needless to say, until it's fixed, I won't be upgrading. Or until someone else has a fix...
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Good Luck :)

Grauhaar wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:42 am
Check/Test this: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... der#p74429
I don't have access to that, for some reason. It says "your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of this app."

But, regardless, I don't want to have to download the program again only to have it kill my drive. Like I said, it wasn't only MakeMKV that was crippled. DVD Decrypter was as well.

Now they're both fine.