Possible to create decrypted UHD backup from encrypted backup?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Gingus

Possible to create decrypted UHD backup from encrypted backup?

Post by Gingus »

Can anyone tell me if it's possible in Makemkv to make an unencrypted backup of a UHD disc from an existing backup of the disc where the encryption was retained? I can open the encrypted backups in MakeMKV, but it seems to go straight to the screen where you select individual titles from the disc.

I backed up my discs with Dolby vision some time ago with the intention of getting an Oppo 203, which can play movies from the BDMV folder structure over my home network retaining the Dolby Vision stream. I recently managed to buy a clone of the Oppo that basically has the same capability, but it doesn't seem to work with the encrypted disc backups, but the unencrypted ones work fine.

Hoping there is a way of doing this so I don't have to get all the physical discs down from the loft again to re-do the backups removing the encryption!

If not possible in Makemkv, is this possible with any other tools?

Thanks
Woodstock

Re: Possible to create decrypted UHD backup from encrypted backup?

Post by Woodstock »

If you did the backup with MakeMKV, there should be a file named discatt.dat at the top of the directory tree. If that is present, MakeMKV can open the backup and write an unencrypted copy.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Gingus

Post by Gingus »

Hi there thanks for your reply.

Sorry if I a missing something obvious but I don't think that works does it?

When I open the existing encrypted backup it Opens the "disc" and takes me straight through to the screen where you choose the titles to extract to MKV files, and the Backup option is no longer available.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

I think this is not possible, because as you already told, if the backup is opened you see the disc titles like opening a disc and the backup option is not available. The backup works only with the physical disc.
Good Luck :)