MakeMKV crashes after loading a disc or when opening settings menu

Everything related to MakeMKV
sheamur

MakeMKV crashes after loading a disc or when opening settings menu

Post by sheamur »

Hi,
when loading a BR disc makemkv starts identifying the relevant tracks and seems to finish this successfully (I get a message in german similar to "task finished successfully") However instead of showing me the list of tracks, makemkv crashes with an errormessage like "Fatal error occured, program will now exit". This seems a generic issue and not related to a specific disk (I tried three different and it worked some weeks ago) In order to find out whats wrong I wanted to activate the debug logging in the settings menu. However makemkv hangs and crashes immediately after opening the menu. After acknowledging the error message the settings menu pops up but all changes done there are not saved so there is still no log I can provide. I also tried to start makemkv via command line with parameter --debug but this does not work either for me (no log being generated).

What I did:
- installed all available Windows Updates ( I am already on Windows 10 1903)
- reinstalled makemkv
- updated JDK (if this can be relevant at all)
- bought makemkv (did not help but it was about time to do so)
- started MakeMKW with admin privileges

Anyone with similar issues or hints for me? I know about the other post some days ago but installing the windows updates did not help at my place.
Regards
Shea
d00zah

Re: MakeMKV crashes after loading a disc or when opening settings menu

Post by d00zah »

Just a guess, but did you happen to change the 'MakeMKV data directory' (General prefs tab)
from the default of 'C:/Users/%USERPROFILE%/.MakeMKV' to a location you have no write
permissions to?

'C:\Program Files (x86)\MakeMKV', perhaps?

Aside from these crashes, you'd also lose user config data, etc. on every program update.
sheamur

Post by sheamur »

Thank you for your hints. It somehow helped me to find the solution.
I deleted the ".MakeMKV" directory and tried to open makemkv again. The directory was created again but the error persisted.
Next was to check registry for "MakeMKV" specific settings. I found my problem in: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MakeMKV
I am usually ripping directly to a NAS server for which I changed IP address a week ago. MakeMKV's registry settings still contained some pointers to the old IP address. I updated those entries and MakeMKV started to work again as usual. Looks like MakeMKV has an issue when dealing either with the timeout or the non reachable NAS directory itself.
So this problem is solved for me but maybe MakeMKV devs can have a look.

Thanks
Shea
theputter

Post by theputter »

I'm not sure if it helps, but I had to load the 64bit Java, vs the 32 bit which installs by default.
Once I changed the path to the 64bit version my blue-rays started ripping without the fatal error.