Feature Request: HD-DVD Pulldown Removal

Everything related to MakeMKV
Kasey

Re: Feature Request: HD-DVD Pulldown Removal

Post by Kasey »

Top to this. I have a pretty meaty library of HD-DVDs and would like them all to be backed up without dealing with any other programs to modify the streams once they're ripped. Otherwise, this program is phenomenal.
tbooth

Post by tbooth »

I would like to have the option to remove the pulldown on HD-DVDs as well.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac »

I'd like to add my support to this too.

Looking at some of the responses there seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding of what the pulldown flag is and does. It's all very well to say that "MakeMKV is not designed to alter the streams in any way. It is designed to give you bit-for-bit perfect copies of your audio and video streams in an MKV container." however, if the source is 24p should the output not be 24p too, rather than the 30fps MakeMKV currently gives?

The flag is there so HD-DVD players can handle outputting to devices that don't support 24p, it tells the HD-DVD player which frames to repeat in order to achieve 30fps and thus be compatible with older displays. That's fine if you're playing it on a HD-DVD player as they were all required to support that. The problem is the media streamers etc. that everyone uses to play the MKVs MakeMKV produces are not HD-DVD players, they aren't required to handle the flag correctly or even at all.

So, the problem in a nutshell is that given a 24p HD-DVD input MakeMKV does not provide a 24p output.
Phr3d

Post by Phr3d »

As the end-user already -has- a perfection setting, i.e., back up the disc, I am confused why (IMO) minor changes to things that have no effect to the original film content are so adamantly opposed..

HD-DVD's are now a curiosity, there are no new players coming, so media players are the only real alternative to HD DVD playback, when the machines inevitably fail (mine was hinky from the day it was delivered).

I am unaware of the user-base that would need the flag be left pristine, as I am No Hi-Def expert.. it took your app to allow me to be done with the HD-DVD and Blu players (and their Many problems). I am not claiming any pride in this lack of knowledge, only passing along that after reading a very great deal of content, I have now purchased two devices that cannot handle this flag or do PSG subs, and was unable to find anything in my googling that warned me about that. The non-Doom9/videohelp fanatic type customer is well and truly screwed here. I bought the WD TV plus -because- it could do PSG subs, whoops, only in certain cases <sigh>.

I hope that -some- reconciliation can be found regarding end-user needs that leave the original film-content pristine, modifying under-the-hood usability without requiring considerable ripping/converting/application experience or knowledge.
my 2?
(and I am still glad I bought MakeMKV)
MichaelC

Post by MichaelC »

Any further thought on this topic? I've tried every setting I can on my WD TV Live. I've tried every Handbrake detelecine trick I can find. I've looked all over the web to no avail for tools to strip these pulldown flags. It seems to me that the developer(s) for MakeMKV are more than sufficiently familiar with the MKV file format to know how these flags could be removed. Yes I'm pushing WD to improve the player in this regard, but HD-DVD is dead, dead, dead. Handbrake will supposedly allow removal of the flags in an upcoming release, but that will still require transcoding (which violates the bit-for-bit goal of MakeMKV).

I'm a paid and generally happy user of MakeMKV. Still those of use with a stack of HD-DVDs would really appreciate an option to fix this issue as files come off the disks.
dpstjp

Post by dpstjp »

MichaelC wrote:Any further thought on this topic? I've tried every setting I can on my WD TV Live. I've tried every Handbrake detelecine trick I can find. I've looked all over the web to no avail for tools to strip these pulldown flags. It seems to me that the developer(s) for MakeMKV are more than sufficiently familiar with the MKV file format to know how these flags could be removed. Yes I'm pushing WD to improve the player in this regard, but HD-DVD is dead, dead, dead. Handbrake will supposedly allow removal of the flags in an upcoming release, but that will still require transcoding (which violates the bit-for-bit goal of MakeMKV).

I'm a paid and generally happy user of MakeMKV. Still those of use with a stack of HD-DVDs would really appreciate an option to fix this issue as files come off the disks.
Michael,

Whilst you are waiting for MakeMKV to sort this out (and I can fully understand why it's not their top priority) you can strip these out of existing MKV files (or direct from the HDDVD itself) using ClownBD or HDBRStreamextractor, and then remux the streams back into an MKV file. I appreciate it's messier and takes longer, but hey, it works. For Mac users (like me) I have a dual boot into Windows especially to do this task.
MichaelC

Post by MichaelC »

dpstjp wrote: Whilst you are waiting for MakeMKV to sort this out (and I can fully understand why it's not their top priority) you can strip these out of existing MKV files (or direct from the HDDVD itself) using ClownBD or HDBRStreamextractor, and then remux the streams back into an MKV file. I appreciate it's messier and takes longer, but hey, it works. For Mac users (like me) I have a dual boot into Windows especially to do this task.
Thanks very much! I'll look into it. Luckily, there's a limited set of HD-DVDs. If I can get it done once, I won't worry about it any more.