How much CPU do you need?

Everything related to MakeMKV
bradleyrose

How much CPU do you need?

Post by bradleyrose »

This program works great but when I playback the MKV Blueray file I get some slight stuttering. I've tried every codec in the book including running windows 7, my specs are as follows:

C2D e4500 (2.1ghz dual core)
4 gigs ram
Nvidia 8500GT

Do I simply not have enough horsepower to play these MKV files back without some stuttering? When I playback downloaded 1080p files around the 6-8gig size they play perfect.
Woodstock

Re: How much CPU do you need?

Post by Woodstock »

Based on your specs, yes, it's going to be more than your system can handle at times. The video card does NOT have h.264 acceleration built in, so the CPU has to do it, and it's slow going with the clock speed.

Replacing the video card with something newer, preferably with BOTH h.264 and h.265 acceleration, would help a lot.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Pagaresav

Post by Pagaresav »

Choose intel because always AMD have no much capital on doing development projects as Intel.If they have same budjet as intel,surely they can reach top since AMD works is even better along side with intel on pcs and desktop s.What's the major problem is all major companies are investing money on intel as intel offers many to laptop and pc makers . So they choosr intel due to that.AMD can't offer much here,that is why most laptops come with intel processors.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Once you buy a CPU, why do you care if the vendor can develop the NEXT CPU? By the time you're ready to buy that "next CPU", the dynamics will probably have changed, in any case.

Intel, for example, has been ahead of AMD "forever" in terms of absolute performance. AMD has often closed the gap, but they recently passed Intel's performance. More so, if you include the performance DEGRADES that have to be put on the Intel CPUs because of security problems.

In terms of performance at a given cost point, Intel has always charged a premium.

But, in the case of this topic, it's not the CPU as much as it's the video card. Decoding h.265 video can be either CPU-intensive, or GPU-intensive. A good video card with good drivers for the OS can make just about any CPU look fast playing back video.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging