Update Request

Everything related to MakeMKV
JWvL.software

Update Request

Post by JWvL.software »

I am a licensed user and love the software.

I have a request that many would like.

Could you please not add the "_txx" if I have modified the individual track filenames? Example: "DISKTITLE" populate from the disk I change to "Disk Tile1" which then becomes "Disk Tile1_t00.mkv". Instead please automatically make the filename to "Disk Tile1.mkv" since I have already made it unique. The next title track if I have changed it, etc.

This would really save us quite a bit of time and many users would never notice the place to change it in makemkv and thus have to rename in the os.

Thank You Very Much, JW vanLohuizen
Last edited by JWvL.software on Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: Update Request

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
JWvL.software

Post by JWvL.software »

No, an algorithm in the code that detects the name change and automatically leaves the track number off the filename since it is now unique.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

OK, I know what you're asking now, but...

There are only certain times that the naming template would be used. Once you start changing the name, the automation gets less and less. And using automatic names is to prevent duplicates, although it isn't perfect, as you are experiencing.

We'll have to wait for Mike to weigh in on this, though, because he's the programmer.

Myself, I end up doing a LOT of renaming (disks with 5-54 episodes of a series), and find that using keyboard copy/paste works "best". Especially in Explorer, where you can tab between files when renaming them. I explain what I do in the "Expert mode" message in this section.
JWvL.software

Post by JWvL.software »

Thanks Woodstock.

I re-worded my original post to be more specific. I learned programming so I know the coding can be done in a few short lines but specific coding Mike would have to do.

I used a simple example but I only recently found where to change it in makemkv so it is simpler than in Explorer. I too am not just doing movies but classic tv series with up to 38 episodes per season!

I just wish Mike would do h265 so I don't have to re-encode. That's a problem because at the moment that program has been stripping subtitles and multiple tracks despite showing them prior to conversion. They update very frequently so I hope that they fix that real soon.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Transcoding is a mess to deal with, and keeping up with copy protection schemes is a different mess to deal with. Very few people have the resources to fight both battles well at the same time.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

JWvL.software wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:04 am
I just wish Mike would do h265 so I don't have to re-encode.
I'm sure that this will never happen. MakeMKV is a rip software and not and re-encoder like Handbrake. It makes no sence to add the same functionality with all the problems if there is freeware available which can do the job.
That's a problem because at the moment that program has been stripping subtitles and multiple tracks despite showing them prior to conversion. They update very frequently so I hope that they fix that real soon.
Are you talking about MakeMKV? If yes, please explain it.
Good Luck :)