Where do the AACS keys come from?!?!

Everything related to MakeMKV
makitos666

Where do the AACS keys come from?!?!

Post by makitos666 »

Seriously, where do they come from? xD

I am currently ripping my Blu-Rays so I can see them! They are useless on a PC :(

Neither powerDVD, nor WinDVD, nor VLC (with new disks), or anything, there is no way to see a bluray without the AACS key, I don't know where it comes from xD

Apart from continuing to lose an hour and a half ripping the discs, you, the experts, who propose to users like me?
Woodstock

Re: Where do the AACS keys come from?!?!

Post by Woodstock »

For regular bluray disks, MakeMKV can generate the necessary keys. UHD disks require keys that the program downloads from the MakeMKV server.

If you rip the disks with MakeMKV to MKV files, you don't need to have the keys - the encryption has been removed.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

It's possible to watch Blu-Rays with VLC thanks to some help from MakeMKV, without ripping them.

Install VLC and MakeMKV.
From the MakeMKV installation directory, copy libmmbd.dll to the VLC installation directory. Rename it to libaacs.dll. Copy it again and rename the second copy to libbdplus.dll
Open MakeMKV and activate it with the either the beta key or the key you've purchased.
Insert disc, let MakeMKV recognise it.
Open VLC, open the disc as a Blu-Ray.

You'll might need to allow some programs (VLC, MakeMKV and some more ) to access protected memory and cdrom drives through "Windows Security" in the Control Panel.
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
mrmacedonian

Post by mrmacedonian »

@Navvie

Your post is hugely valuable to people like me that don't trust the guides you might find if you google "vlc play bluray," instructing you to download dlls from some site. It should be highlighted, maybe turned into a "how to" sticky as I'm sure it will help many others.

One note to anyone reading this, since I purposefully have been downloading VLC x64 for the last couple of versions, I copied 'libmmbd64.dll' rather than the x86 version.

No clue if grabbing the 32bit version would work; once this process worked for me I did not test any further :)

andrej
help_me

help with riping blu ray disks to computer

Post by help_me »

I am new to this ripping blu rays to my hard drive i have been trying to use makemkv but every time it gets almost done than it pops up and says it failed and something about hash i am trying to rip i believe it is a blu ray and not a uhd blu ray disk and help would be greatly appreciated

these are the errors i am getting
Encountered 6 errors of type 'Read Error'
Encountered 3 errors of type 'HashCheck Error'

i also do not have java installed on my computer will make a difference

the blu ray drive i am using is a lg Bp50nb40 usb drive
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Read errors have nothing to do with AACS keys - the drive says it cannot read the disk itself.

Hash checks will occur when the data read doesn't jive with the built-in check sums on the disk. This can happen when the drive returns data that is "almost correct" as a way of working around read errors. Drives used to just give an error when the data had errors; now they try to return SOMETHING, and hope it is right.

Java isn't necessary unless you're trying to deal with "play list obfuscation", which is something Lionsgate does to disks.

For the errors you're getting, start here.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging