Newbie question about FW dump file

Everything related to MakeMKV
Chuck_Charlie

Newbie question about FW dump file

Post by Chuck_Charlie »

Hello,

New member here, but been lurking for a while. Love Makemkv. Please take mercy on me if my question is too obvious, but yesterday I was backing up my blu ray and during the direct disc access mode I got the following message:

Saved FW dump file as ---------
Please send the file (---------) to support@makemkv.com

Now I was under the impression that this type of message is usually due to a new protection that needs to be addressed, but I was still able to rip the movie without issues. I didn't test it yet for playback errors but the process seemed to go as usual.

I just want to know if it's still necessary to submit the file since I was able to back it up or not worry about it?

Thanks in advance
Woodstock

Re: Newbie question about FW dump file

Post by Woodstock »

Firmware dumps are asked for when MakeMKV encounters a firmware version that hasn't been catalogued yet. It helps with expanding the universe of LibreDrives. Congratulations on owning a drive that MakeMKV doesn't know much about yet. :)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chuck_Charlie

Post by Chuck_Charlie »

Thanks for responding, please forgive my lack of knowledge on this, but just to be clear Firmware dumps as I understand now are simply for record keeping and nothing to do with the actual content of the disc or its protection?

It's just that I've backed up quite a few discs so far and this was the only time that I saw this message and I thought it had something to do with this specific blu ray and I didn't want my rip to be affected by it
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I don't think it's just for record keeping - there is still work going on to expand the universe of LD firmware. Each sample can aid in that.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging