Fatal error after loading Blu-ray disc

Everything related to MakeMKV
smares

Fatal error after loading Blu-ray disc

Post by smares »

MakeMKV suddenly started to crash after loading discs. First time it happened today with Spiderman Far From Home (AACS v71), but after restarting the program, it eventually loaded and copied the movie without problem. Now I am getting the error with Alita Battle Angel (AACS v68) all the time.
makemkvfatalerror.png
makemkvfatalerror.png (32.28 KiB) Viewed 14509 times
Is there anything I can do to provide you with more information?
smares

Re: Fatal error after loading Blu-ray disc

Post by smares »

I just noticed looking at my screenshot that the Output folder input is empty so I thought I might try changing the target location even though nothing has changed, I always had it set to SemiAuto and pointing to my Videos folder. So I tried opening the preferences, and after a few seconds, I got the Fatal error message again, the main window closed, but the preferences window opened anyways. In the tab Video none of the radios was selected but everything else seemed fine. After selecting SemiAuto and hitting Apply, it filled the target location to a huge weird string. Also, the Minimum title length was set to 1 even though, as you can see from the previous screenshot, it used to be 900. Switching around to the other tabs, all input fields such as the location of the Java binary, really everything, changed to that weird string.
makemkvpreferences.png
makemkvpreferences.png (14.45 KiB) Viewed 14506 times
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

smares wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:21 pm
I just noticed looking at my screenshot that the Output folder input is empty so I thought I might try changing the target location even though nothing has changed, I always had it set to SemiAuto and pointing to my Videos folder. So I tried opening the preferences, and after a few seconds, I got the Fatal error message again, the main window closed, but the preferences window opened anyways. In the tab Video none of the radios was selected but everything else seemed fine. After selecting SemiAuto and hitting Apply, it filled the target location to a huge weird string. Also, the Minimum title length was set to 1 even though, as you can see from the previous screenshot, it used to be 900. Switching around to the other tabs, all input fields such as the location of the Java binary, really everything, changed to that weird string.
What path do you have set for your 'Data directory' on the 'General' preferences tab?
smares

Post by smares »

Deleted HKCU\Software\MakeMKV and reconfigured the settings and now everything is working again.
smares

Post by smares »

d00zah wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:26 pm
What path do you have set for your 'Data directory' on the 'General' preferences tab?
C:/Users/smare/.MakeMKV

It's been like that forever.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

smares wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:28 pm
d00zah wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:26 pm
C:/Users/smare/.MakeMKV

It's been like that forever.
I've seen the issues you reported when a user has changed the path to the program directory (?)...
which non-admins have no write access to by default. Just checkin'...
smares

Post by smares »

I was able to reproduce this today. It appears to happen if you ripped to a network share that is no longer available. The share doesn't even have to be set as default ripping destination, it's enough if you ripped to it at any given point in time so that it's in the history of folders.

To fix the crashing, it's enough to delete the location from the path_DestDirMRU string in the registry.
LuekG

Post by LuekG »

smares wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:56 pm
To fix the crashing, it's enough to delete the location from the path_DestDirMRU string in the registry.
This is Amazing!!! It's been driving me nuts for the last week trying to copy my Hobbs and Shaw 3D.

Worked a treat.

:D
lamb1133

Post by lamb1133 »

I believe I am having the same issue. Makemkv crashed before I can change the location to save the file. How to I find the registry to delete, so that the application will work again?
smares

Post by smares »

Open the registry editor (Start -> type "regedit" or press Win+R and type "regedit"), navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MakeMKV and on the right, delete the path_DestDirMRU entry or double click it and delete the value.
lamb1133

Post by lamb1133 »

smares wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:26 pm
Open the registry editor (Start -> type "regedit" or press Win+R and type "regedit"), navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MakeMKV and on the right, delete the path_DestDirMRU entry or double click it and delete the value.
Thanks a lot. Up and running again.