multi-drive UHD reader setup

Everything related to MakeMKV
Vitalsignser

multi-drive UHD reader setup

Post by Vitalsignser »

Has anyone used this enclosure https://www.amazon.ca/Copystars-Duplica ... r=8-1&th=1 ?

I'm thinking of building a 5 drive UHD enclosure. It is better to use longer SATA cables to run to the motherboard directly or use a 5 port sata to usb 3.1 card in the enclosure itself? https://www.amazon.ca/5PORT-USB-3-1-HOS ... 5987&psc=1

I assume running 5 instances of MakeMKV will be fine as long as I check 'Ask for single drive mode' on Preferences > IO tab & restart MakeMKV.
Woodstock

Re: multi-drive UHD reader setup

Post by Woodstock »

Main question is, what operating system? I've tried running a 4-port SATA FIS port multiplier configuration in Windows, and Windows only saw the first drive. I ended up having to use USB 3, which was instantly recognized by Windows, but did not have the speed that the SATA FIS setup was supposed to have.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Vitalsignser

Post by Vitalsignser »

Windows 10 as I don't think I can get it running with unraid and makemkv docker
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you can get a Win10 driver for your FIS board (and your eSATA port allows FIS support), it should work.

For best speed, I'd make sure the SATA controller attached to the FIS isn't being used for much else. You're multiplexing up to 5 drives on a 6-megabit line, so your best speed is going to be equivalent to old IDE speeds. That can work for ripping, if the controller is NOT also dealing with a hard drive or three.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Vitalsignser

Post by Vitalsignser »

The controller card I linked to will just be for drives.

I think my other idea was not well explained by me...I can direct connect the 5 Sata data lines to my motherboard by running them out of the case and into my workstation case. I would think this would be the easiest but leaves a bunch of exposed cables between both boxes. It's my understanding that optical drives cannot saturate sata II so there is no point wasting Sata III ports on my motherboard.
skiddy

Post by skiddy »

I have a 5 drive setup. I use a SAS hba card in IT mode and external sas cables to the enclosure.

Make mkv works fine in single drive mode. I’d recommend an ssd as the target drive, as my drive can top out at 50MB/s each.