Full Decrypted Backup or Save Single Title - What's Your Preference?

Everything related to MakeMKV
awdspyder

Full Decrypted Backup or Save Single Title - What's Your Preference?

Post by awdspyder »

I've been at this game a long time, and I have my workflow, which has evolved over time. It doesn't take long browsing these forums before one can see that it's truly a case of different strokes for different folks, however. Some compress with Handbrake, some call that blasphemy, some backup their entire libraries, some just stuff they really care about, etc. Personally, I'm a purist - full quality, full audio options, almost zero content below 1080p (except for DVR caps), growing UHD library, don't care how much space it takes.

I've toyed with full disc backups over ripping the main title only, and while the OCD purist in me likes the idea of it, I can't really see an advantage to doing things this way. It certainly takes longer (first backup full disc, then convert to MKV), which I'd be fine with if there was some clear reason for doing it. I can perhaps see it if you're playing with special features, subs, etc., but outside of the AACS 2.1 unknown volume key issue, I'm having a hard time rationalizing it.

So, for those of you that opt for the full backup, what's your rationale?

And Mike, you're the man - simply excellent work. If you haven't already purchased a licensed copy to support Mike, do it now. Quite possibly the best value for a piece of software I've ever purchased.