Audio issues ripping Region A disks, to play on region B blu ray player.

Everything related to MakeMKV
JohnSimmons

Audio issues ripping Region A disks, to play on region B blu ray player.

Post by JohnSimmons »

I have ripped the BluRay disk Criterion "Stage Coach" Region A. This plays fine on laptop with VLC both image and audio. However, when attempt to play on oldish LG BluRay player, the image is fine, but only here hissing noise for audio. The extras, all run fine.
Woodstock

Re: Audio issues ripping Region A disks, to play on region B blu ray player.

Post by Woodstock »

Did you rip the disk to MKV files, or do a backup?

Backup will preserve the region information, but usually you'll see a message about "wrong region" instead of the audio being mush.

It is possible your player isn't capable of dealing with the audio codec, and tries to pass it off to the TV, which also might not handle it. Playback on the laptop would involve different software, with different capabilities.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
JohnSimmons

Post by JohnSimmons »

Hello thanks for reply. I ripped the blu ray to an mkv, not a backup, with lossless settings. It has happened with all other Criterions attempted to rip, so guess is something to do with that company encodes audio.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

When ripping, you can have MakeMKV also copy the lossy core of the DTS-HD MA track to its own track, specifically because some software and devices cannot handle the lossless version. The "full" track contains the lossy part for compatibility with older devices, but... let's just say that not everything works that way. My TV, for example, will give no audio for "TrueHD" unless I have the theater amp turned on. It will play AC3 tracks, though, and MakeMKV pulls a copy of the AC3 track out of the TrueHD track for me.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
wmcclain

Post by wmcclain »

Note that Criterion often uses LPCM audio. Could be your older player doesn't like that in an MKV container.
Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll